|Senior Human Resources Generalist - Ottawa, Ontario
Telesat is a leading global satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite-delivered communications solutions worldwide to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, the company’s state-of-the-art fleet consists of 15 GEO satellites, the Canadian payload on ViaSat-1 and one Phase 1 LEO satellite which is the start of Telesat's planned global LEO satellite constellation that will offer low latency, high throughput broadband services. An additional two GEO satellites are under construction with launches planned for mid-2018. Telesat is also a leading technical consultant providing high value expertise and support to satellite operators, insurers and other industry participants on a global basis. Privately held, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL).
We have a requirement for a Senior Human Resources Generalist to join our Human Resources department in our Ottawa office.
This position provides a full range of services and support to its client groups and other members of the HR team.
- Act as the Human Resources first point of contact for client groups.
- Assist with development, implementation, and ongoing administration of HR programs and policies (e.g. on boarding, performance management, service awards, health and safety, relocation, attendance management, etc.).
- Maintain a detailed knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation and Telesat HR policies and provide guidance to managers and employees on their application.
- Support recruitment efforts by working with hiring managers to update existing and develop new job descriptions and job postings, assisting recruiter as required with pre-screening and interviewing candidates, and drafting employment offer letters.
- Provide onboarding and advisory services to employees as it relates to payroll, benefits, or pension options by educating employees on their entitlements and identifying and understanding their needs to provide advice and options. Develop and expand the onboarding and intranet information accessibility so that program, policy and procedure information is accurate, consistent and readily available to all employees.
- Assist with cross-border immigration requirements.
- Provide guidance to employees considering retirement, ensuring they have all relevant information so they can make informed decisions on their retirement date; work with the pension administrator to have retirement packages sent to employees with upcoming retirements in a timely manner.
- Act as the prime contact for health and safety matters as they affect the organization, including participation in the health and safety committee; assisting with the planning and coordination of regular health and safety training and updates; and preparation and submission of legislated government reports.
- Assist the Manager, Human Resources to conduct detailed review of payroll and team analysis or documentation prior to presenting to Director, Human Resources for final approval.
- Act as the back-up for ensuring all employee records within the Human Resources Management and Time Reporting Systems are complete and accurate. Run vacation and absenteeism reports as required including year-end vacation accrual calculations.
- Prepare ad hoc workforce metrics and analytics as requested.
- Complete various filings and submissions.
- Run vacation and absenteeism reports as required including year-end vacation accrual calculations.
- Participate in and support ad hoc special projects.
- Support other HR functions as required.
- Perform other related duties.
- A university degree ideally in Business or Human Resources coupled with at least 7 years of relevant work experience;
- Completion of a CHRP/CHRL designation is an asset
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain clearance under the Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP).