Telesat is a leading global satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite-delivered communications solutions worldwide to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, the company’s state-of-the-art fleet consists of 15 GEO satellites plus the Canadian payload on ViaSat-1 with two new satellites under construction. An additional two prototype satellites are under construction and will be deployed in low earth orbit. Telesat also manages the operations of additional satellites for third parties. Privately held, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL).
Complimenting the current business, a new business is being developed around a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) constellation that will offer global connectivity & Internet services via satellites. Telesat’s LEO will fundamentally transform the market with high capacity, low cost to customer & low latency. Imagine us as bringing fiber-based connectivity to the dial-up market. Global reach will also allow us to bring city-type fast Internet experience to even the most remote & unconnected parts of the world.
We are looking for a Senior Financial Analyst who will be responsible for subsidiary accounting and reporting, and related monthly variance analyses, as well as the preparation of unaudited financial statements for tax and statutory reporting purposes and statistical reporting. In addition, this position holds ownership of specified general ledger accounts, including the intercompany accounts, which includes recording monthly transactions and invoicing, and monthly account reconciliations and analysis.
The responsibilities and range of activities may vary, but in general will include:
- Compilation, upload and analysis of the subsidiary group of companies on a monthly basis; main contact point for coordinating monthly financial package submission
- Intercompany journal entries and accounting, including monthly intercompany reconciliation to ensure all intercompany transactions are eliminated
- Invoicing and accounting for related party transactions
- Ownership of specified general ledger accounts. Prepare monthly reconciliations for assigned accounts
- Management reporting for subsidiaries
- Preparation of financial statements for tax purposes
- Preparation of unaudited financial statements for statutory reporting purposes
- Compilation of information for and coordination of Canadian and International statistics reporting
- Assist the Manager with revenue reporting and the review and approval of revenue and accounts receivable journal entries
- Work on special assignments and ad-hoc reporting and financial analysis requests
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience with financial statement preparation and management reporting
- Experience recording journal entries in multiple currencies
- Detail oriented with exceptional documentation skills with respect to content and presentation
- Knowledge of IFRS
- Strong research and problem solving skills
- Advanced proficiency in MS Excel (VLOOKUP, Index, Pivot Table etc.)
- Experience with ERP systems
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to deal effectively with both financial and non-financial people
- University degree in Commerce / Finance, plus an accounting designation
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain an Enhanced Reliability clearance.