Telesat is a leading global satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite-delivered communications solutions worldwide to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, the company’s state-of-the-art fleet consists of 15 satellites plus the Canadian payload on ViaSat-1 with two new satellites under construction. An additional two prototype satellites are under construction and will be deployed in low earth orbit. Telesat also manages the operations of additional satellites for third parties. Privately held, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL)
Complementing the current business, a new business is being developed around a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) constellation that will offer global connectivity and high speed broadband services via next-generation satellites. Telesat’s LEO will fundamentally transform the telecommunications market with high capacity, low latency services available at price points competitive with the best terrestrial alternatives. Imagine us as bringing fiber-like connectivity to a dial-up market. Global reach will also allow us to bring the same fast internet experience that urban users enjoy to even the most remote and unconnected parts of the world.
Reporting to the Manager, Systems and Network Support, the IT Systems Analyst provides the technical leadership and specialist expertise required for the architectural design of both software and hardware enterprise solutions together with the implementation and operation of Telesat’s IT infrastructure. Capable of applying technical expertise to the big picture.
The responsibilities and range of activities may vary, but in general will include:
- Research and recommend best of breed enterprise solutions.
- Project lead complex technical enterprise implementations.
- Architect and design systems and solutions, both hardware and software in nature.
- Lead endpoint cybersecurity initiatives.
- Implementation of new systems and technologies on an enterprise scale.
- Initiate plan and co-ordinate projects through all phases.
- Analyze, troubleshoot and resolve complex infrastructure and server systems.
- Coordinate and implement systems upgrades and configuration changes.
- Monitor, analyze, report, and optimize systems performance.
- Architect, implement and maintain backup solutions.
- Detailed analysis and monitoring of subsystems to ensure service specs are met.
- Devise new innovative solutions and processes, product research and evaluation.
- Perform other duties as required
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Excellent architectural design and operational working knowledge of:
- Linux (RedHat or CentOS), UNIX, Solaris.
- Shell Scripting.
- TCP/IP networking, DNS, DHCP, NFS, SMB, LDAP.
- Virtual Server Environments (KVM).
- Security and Infrastructure including endpoint protection.
- Endpoint workstation systems configuration and management.
- Hardware maintenance and repair.
- Experience with webservers such as Apache and My SQL databases an advantage.
- Useful experience:
- Wiki management.
- Backup systems such as HP Data Protector.
- Experience with Network Appliance Data ONTAP.
- Understanding of BCP/DRP/RTO/RPO.
- Demonstrated experience in applying technical expertise to solve complex business problems.
- Experience working on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- A Degree in a relevant area of study with a preference for Computer Science together with demonstrated operational systems and network related experience.
- Minimum of 5 years in Information Technology (with a related University Degree)
The successful candidate must be able to obtain clearance under the Canadian Controlled Goods program (CGP) and Secret level clearance.
Occasional international travel is anticipated; therefore, candidates will need to provide proof that they have no national/international travel or visa restrictions