Telesat is a leading global satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite-delivered communications solutions worldwide to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, the company’s state-of-the-art fleet consists of 15 GEO satellites, the Canadian payload on ViaSat-1 and one Phase 1 LEO satellite which is the start of Telesat's planned global LEO satellite constellation that will offer low latency, high throughput broadband services. An additional two GEO satellites are under construction with launches planned for mid-2018. Telesat is also a leading technical consultant providing high value expertise and support to satellite operators, insurers and other industry participants on a global basis. Privately held, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL).
The Senior Tax Professional will be a member of a tax team responsible for all taxes of the consolidated group, including Canadian domestic, commodity, foreign, and withholding taxes. The incumbent will be responsible for helping to ensure Telesat meets its statutory requirements for Canadian income taxes, including transfer pricing, foreign affiliate reporting and accounting for income taxes. The incumbent will have to apply their knowledge of accounting and tax legislation to help ensure Telesat is compliant and that tax information is recorded accurately in any financial reporting.
The responsibilities and range of activities may vary, but in general will include:
- Support the Tax Manager in defending positions for income tax audits (federally, provincially and internationally).
- Assist with the identification of new transactions with non-arm’s length foreign affiliates and provide input to determine appropriate Transfer Pricing methodology.
- Investigate and interpret new accounting transactions with the Tax Manager to determine Canadian income tax implications.
- Assist in providing interpretation on new tax legislation and assess impact to Telesat.
- Ensure all required supporting documentation is being maintained to support the Company’s tax filing positions in anticipation of future audits.
- Prepare the quarterly tax provision and related note disclosure on a consolidated basis and answer questions from external financial statement auditors as required.
- Act as a resource to internal departments to answer tax related questions.
- Prepare Canadian corporate income tax returns.
- Perform other duties as required.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Several years of directly related work experience in finance/accounting or taxation.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills.
- The incumbent is required to plan, coordinate and set priorities to ensure timely completion of all assigned tasks.
Specialized Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of Canadian corporate income tax.
- Preparation of tax provisions and related note disclosure for financial statement reporting purposes.
- Successful completion of Part I and/or II of the CPAs In-depth Tax Course would be an asset
- University Degree in Finance, Economics or Business with an Accounting designation
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain an Enhanced Reliability clearance.