|Procurement Officer - Ottawa, Ontario
Telesat is a leading global satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite-delivered communications solutions worldwide to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, the company’s state-of-the-art fleet consists of 15 GEO satellites, the Canadian payload on ViaSat-1 and one Phase 1 LEO satellite which is the start of Telesat's planned global LEO satellite constellation that will offer low latency, high throughput broadband services. An additional two GEO satellites are under construction with launches planned for mid-2018. Telesat is also a leading technical consultant providing high value expertise and support to satellite operators, insurers and other industry participants on a global basis. Privately held, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL).
We are looking for a Procurement Officer who would be responsible and accountable for the proper and timely procurement of goods and services at the lowest possible price considering quality, delivery, service, and contractual terms. The Procurement Officer is also responsible for drafting, negotiating and managing purchase contracts.
The responsibilities and range of activities may vary, but in general will include:
- Perform as a fully authorized procurement officer with signing authority (as designated by the CFO), issuing requests for quotations and purchase orders, obtaining, analyzing and evaluating quotations, investigating new and alternative sources of supply and establishing beneficial supplier relationships;
- Draft, negotiate, and manage purchase contracts, ensuring optimum terms and conditions are obtained;
- Prepare, implement and manage RFP/RFQ/RFI processes. This includes follow up through to the finalization and execution of purchasing contracts as well as the proper management and retention of any related documents or records;
- Recommend and initiate processes to improve effectiveness and efficiency in procurement while maintaining or improving client service;
- Provide leadership and support to project teams and departments (primarily sales and engineering) on behalf of the procurement department, leveraging both personal and departmental specialized expertise to meet corporate goals;
- Organize and chair supplier meetings, teleconferences and presentations;
- Act as a prime contact for external suppliers, liaising on behalf of various project teams and departments, relaying and filtering information and providing advice to internal clients.
- Track cost savings, cost control and accomplishments; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- A minimum of five (5) years of purchasing and supply management experience, including contract drafting, negotiating and management.
- Thorough knowledge of contract terms and conditions and attention to detail;Proven experience drafting, negotiating, and managing contracts;
- Detailed knowledge of telecommunications related equipment and components, preferably (but not necessarily) related to satellite telecommunications;
- Comprehensive experience using Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software application(s) (SAP, Oracle and/or Microsoft Dynamics);
- Excellent negotiating, organization, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Working knowledge of financial, transportation, customs and taxation issues;
- Detailed understanding of supply chain management principles
- Post-secondary education (College or University graduate).
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain clearance under the Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP).