Telesat is a leading global satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite-delivered communications solutions worldwide to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, the company’s state-of-the-art fleet consists of 15 satellites plus the Canadian payload on ViaSat-1 with two new satellites under construction. An additional two prototype satellites are under construction and will be deployed in low earth orbit. Telesat also manages the operations of additional satellites for third parties. Privately held, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL)
Complementing the current business, a new business is being developed around a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) constellation that will offer global connectivity and high speed broadband services via next-generation satellites. Telesat’s LEO will fundamentally transform the telecommunications market with high capacity, low latency services available at price points competitive with the best terrestrial alternatives. Imagine us as bringing fiber-like connectivity to a dial-up market. Global reach will also allow us to bring the same fast internet experience that urban users enjoy to even the most remote and unconnected parts of the world.
Reporting to the Manager, Financial Planning and Operations the Senior Financial Analyst prepares all internal management reports, key performance indicators (KPI), and backlog reports. The incumbent also plays a key role in the budgeting and financial planning processes.
The responsibilities and range of activities may vary, but in general will include:
- Prepares monthly and quarterly internal management reports. Obtains, coordinates and analyzes information inputs from Telesat and subsidiaries as required
- Prepares the quarterly key performance indicator (“KPI”) management report
- Prepares, analyzes and summarizes the quarterly revenue backlog
- Prepares and compiles the consolidated annual budget, periodic updates, presentations and related reports. Obtains, coordinates, compiles and analyzes inputs from executive management and operational groups using BOARD software
- Prepares, maintains, updates and as required, programs the long-term financial planning model to incorporate forecast revisions and scenarios
- Maintains and improves the Management Reporting and Budgeting modules of the BOARD Business Intelligence and Reporting Tool
- Work on special assignments and ad-hoc reporting, risk management and financial analysis requests
- Perform other duties as required
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 5 years of public accounting and/or private industry experience in accounting, finance and/or auditing
- Strong analytical and reasoning skills
- Advanced proficiency in MS Excel (Pivot Tables, VLOOKUP, etc.) and PowerPoint, including manipulation of large, complex Excel spreadsheets
- Financial modeling and forecasting skills using Excel or demonstrated ability to develop these skills
- Experience working with multiple subsidiaries and foreign currency accounting
- Undergraduate university degree in Accounting or Finance
- Professional accounting designation (CPA)
The successful candidate must be able to obtain an Enhanced Reliability clearance.