Telesat (www.telesat.com) is a leading global satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite-delivered communications solutions worldwide to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, the company’s state-of-the-art fleet consists of 15 GEO satellites, the Canadian payload on ViaSat-1 and one Phase 1 satellite in low earth orbit (LEO) which is the start of Telesat's planned global LEO satellite constellation that will offer low latency, high throughput broadband services. An additional two GEO satellites are scheduled for launch mid-2018. Financially strong, Telesat’s revenues are approaching CA$1bn, with contracted backlog revenues of around CA$4bn. Privately held, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL).
Telesat is now developing a LEO satellite constellation that will offer global connectivity and high speed broadband services using 100+ highly advanced satellites. Telesat LEO will fundamentally transform the telecommunications market with high capacity, low latency services available at price points competitive with the best terrestrial alternatives. Global reach will also allow Telesat to bring a fiber-like Internet experience to even the most remote and unconnected parts of the world.
The Senior Revenue Recognition Analyst requires a solid understanding of revenue recognition rules under IFRS, and the ability to interpret and apply these rules to the contracts signed by Telesat. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to accurate and timely reporting of revenue, overseeing month-end close process, ownership of specified general ledger accounts including recording monthly transactions, performing monthly accounting reconciliations and following up/investigating any unreconciled differences. The position is a key contributor to the month end close process.
How You Will Contribute
- Read contracts, interpret and apply the appropriate accounting treating under IFRS
- Research technical accounting issues and prepare accounting memos
- Own specified general ledger accounts, preparing the relevant monthly accounting entries and reconciliations
- Prepare quarterly/annual external reporting note disclosures (related to Revenue)
- Prepare monthly and quarterly balance sheet variance analyses
- Prepare various monthly and quarterly revenue reports
- Prepare quarterly embedded derivative schedule
- Liaise with auditors with respect to areas of responsibility
- Prepare ad-hoc reports and participate in special projects, as required
- Perform other duties as required
What We Are Looking For
- University Degree in a related field and a CPA designation (or in final stages)
- Several years directly related experience
- Demonstrated ability to review contracts for revenue recognition and ensure compliance with appropriate revenue standards under IFRS
- Ability to work proactively, prioritize, multi-task, and ensure timely completion with minimal supervision
- Experience in recording entries in multiple currencies (transactional, functional, and reporting)
- Advanced skills in MS Excel
- Experienced ERP system user
- Strong research and problem solving skills
- Strong and effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain clearance under the Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP).