|Senior Sales Engineer - Ottawa, Ontario
Telesat is a leading global satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite-delivered communications solutions worldwide to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers. The company is headquartered in Ottawa, Canada and has offices and facilities around the world. The company’s state-of-the-art fleet consists of 16 GEO satellites, the Canadian payload on ViaSat-1 and one Phase 1 LEO (low earth orbit) satellite which is the start of Telesat's planned global LEO satellite constellation that will offer low latency, high throughput broadband services. An additional GEO satellite is scheduled for launch August 2018. Telesat is also a leading technical consultant providing high value expertise and support to satellite operators, insurers and other industry participants on a global basis. Privately held, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL).
How You Will Contribute:
As a Senior Sales Engineer in our Ottawa office, you will provide both pre-sales and post sales engineering support as described below.
- Provide engineering design solutions to North American and International Sales teams.
- Design, estimate costs and propose solutions based on customer requirements.
- Work directly with prospective customers’ technical resources to validate requirements and technical aspects.
- Prepare and present proposals to customers.
- Attend customer meetings.
- Identify new solutions within the business model which could lead to new revenue opportunities.
- Work directly with customers to plan upgrades, review performance of networks and resolve service issues.
- Support projects to implement customer solutions.
- Provide work instruction and training to teleport staff and field support representatives.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering (emphasis on telecommunications), Computer Engineering or Computer Sciences
- Experience in the following areas:
- Implementation of services based on VSAT systems (Advantech, Comtech, Newtec, iDirect, DVB and DOCSIS based platforms)
- TCP/IP networking specifically specifying Telco services such as MPLS and Layer-2 Ethernet connectivity solutions to complete end to end customer requirements (CCIE, NRS II or equivalent knowledge)
- Protocol acceleration, web caching, traffic management, firewalls, VPN, and security related hardware and software
- 4G/5G mobile backhaul, microwave technologies, triple play networking designs and network management platforms considered an asset
- MEF standards and implementations
- Broadcasting systems (MPEG coding, IPTV, cable distribution)
- Link budget analysis and software tools, recognized in the satellite industry (such as Optimal Satcom, Satmaster, LST5)
- Antennas and RF equipment implementation, operation and diagnostics
- Entire sales cycle, Qualification (go-no-go), Pre, Win, Post and directly selling technical solutions to customers
- Demonstrated project management, project leadership and interpersonal skills
- Strong technical, presentation, written and oral communication and proposal writing skills
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain clearance under the Canadian Controlled Goods Program.
International travel is anticipated; therefore, the successful candidate will need to maintain an up-to-date passport and remain legally able to travel internationally.