|Technologist - Toronto, Ontario
Telesat is a leading global satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite-delivered communications solutions worldwide to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers. The company is headquartered in Ottawa, Canada and has offices and facilities around the world. The company’s state-of-the-art fleet consists of 16 GEO satellites, the Canadian payload on ViaSat-1 and one Phase 1 LEO (low earth orbit) satellite which is the start of Telesat's planned global LEO satellite constellation that will offer low latency, high throughput broadband services. An additional GEO satellite is scheduled for launch August 2018. Telesat is also a leading technical consultant providing high value expertise and support to satellite operators, insurers and other industry participants on a global basis. Privately held, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL).
As a Technologist at the Telesat Toronto Teleport you will:
- Perform corrective and preventative maintenance on a variety of voice, data, audio and video broadcast equipment, HD and SD video digital encoding and multiplex services and equipment.
- Perform corrective and preventative maintenance on networking hardware, such as routers, switches and hubs.
- Perform preventative and corrective maintenance to IF and RF hardware such as LNAs, LNBs, up/down converters, antenna systems, Solid State Power Amplifiers (SSPA), traveling wave tube amplifiers (TWTA), modulators and switches, etc.
- Perform ongoing preventative and corrective maintenance for the overall teleport facility.
- Proactively monitor and maintain satellite and terrestrial services and infrastructure for Telesat and Telesat’s customers.
- Create and update Teleport services documentation and procedures as required.
- Assist the Network Engineering Division team with the implementation of new services at the Toronto Teleport.
- Work directly with Telesat customers and/or third party contractors.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Electronics/Telecommunications Technologist three-year Diploma combined with a minimum of one year of directly related experience;
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills;
- Familiarity with RF systems, especially satellite based RF systems;
- Knowledge of IP based LAN/WAN networks and routing protocols (Ethernet, TCP/IP, UDP/IP, RIP, EIGRP, OSPF, BGP);
- Familiarity with interconnection of network devices and complex network architecture;
- Familiarity with various types of telecommunications test equipment;
- Solid troubleshooting skills;
- Knowledge of basic scripting tools and Network Management protocols (SNMP, SYSLOG); and
- Familiarity with MS Office suite.
Please note that the Toronto Teleport is a 24 hour a day, 7 days per week facility. Shift work and the ability to work in an unsupervised environment as well as occasional travel are requirements of this position.