|Technologist - Allan Park, Ontario
Telesat is a leading global satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite-delivered communications solutions worldwide to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, the company’s state-of-the-art fleet consists of 17 GEO satellites, the Canadian payload on ViaSat-1 and one Phase 1 LEO satellite which is the start of Telesat’s planned global LEO satellite constellation that will offer low latency, high throughput broadband services. Telesat is also a leading technical consultant providing high value expertise and support to satellite operators, insurers and other industry participants on a global basis. Privately held, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL).
As a Technologist at the Telesat Allan Park Teleport you will:
- Provide telephone customer support.
- Ensure that the first and second level maintenance activities at remote points of presence are effectively carried out through direct and indirect means.
- Perform corrective and preventative maintenance on a variety of satellite communication baseband and RF equipment.
- Perform preventative and corrective maintenance on critical systems at the Allan Park Earth Station facility i.e. power systems, and antenna farm.
- Perform preventative and corrective maintenance on networking hardware, such as routers, IP switches, hubs and modems.
- Review and update customer network documentation for accuracy.
- Assist Network Engineering Division personnel with the implementation of new and expanding services, demonstrating thorough understanding of the systems.
- Monitor remote customer networks for alarm detection and degradation in service level, and initiate corrective action.
- Accurately document network trouble reports in common trouble ticketing database.
- Investigate sources of satellite RF interference causing customer service interruptions.
- Work directly with Telesat customers and/or third party contractors.
- Work effectively in a team environment, and independently with minimal supervision.
- Occasional requirements to oversee day to day group operations in a shift lead role.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- 3-year Electronics/Telecommunications Technologist Diploma or recognized equivalent.
- 1-2 years experience in related field would be an asset
- Knowledge of RF/microwave communications devices.
- Knowledge of data communications protocols (point to point, LAN/WAN).
- Knowledge of telephony transmission systems.
- Knowledge of television transmission systems (both analog and digital)
- Knowledge of HVAC and power systems.
- Knowledge of PC operating systems and application programming.
- Ability to demonstrate solid troubleshooting skills
- The service operates 24 hours, 7 days per week. Shift work and the ability to work in an unsupervised environment are critical to this position.
- Ability to undertake occasional travel.
- Occasional climbing of ladders up to 40 feet may be required.
- Ability to obtain U.S. Department of State approval for access to technical data and/or hardware controlled by the U.S. Government.
- Preference will be given to bi-lingual candidates
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain clearance under the Canadian Controlled Goods Program.