|Programmer Analyst - Ontario, Ontario
Telesat is a leading global satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite-delivered communications solutions worldwide to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, the company’s state-of-the-art fleet consists of 17 GEO satellites, the Canadian payload on ViaSat-1 and one Phase 1 LEO satellite which is the start of Telesat’s planned global LEO satellite constellation that will offer low latency, high throughput broadband services. Telesat is also a leading technical consultant providing high value expertise and support to satellite operators, insurers and other industry participants on a global basis. Privately held, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL).
Reporting to the Manager, Application Development; the incumbent will design and develop both new and enhancements to software applications that meet business specifications.
How You Will Contribute:
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of the company's application portfolio, development tools, and development procedures.
- Actively participate in the development and review of business and system requirements to obtain a thorough understanding of business needs in order to deliver accurate solutions.
- Provide development activities level of effort and duration estimates for schedule planning. The developer is expected to proactively manage activities to deliver required work on time.
- Design application solutions that fully implement business requirements.
- Develop software code in accordance with established company standards and development guidelines.
- Perform adequate unit testing of own and other developers' application development work. At a minimum, unit testing should ensure all requirements have been addressed, all basic functionality works, and errors are handled properly.
- Troubleshoot application production issues in a timely manner.
- Review and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems and develop strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems.
- Provide updates to Manager on work in progress, work completed, work planned, and issues potentially impacting the timely completion or quality level of work.
- Complete project responsibilities including design, coding, unit testing, and documentation on time at required quality level.
- Support all current applications, as well as take lead in new application development initiatives to rewrite older applications in newer technologies.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- University Computer Science degree
- Related work experience in development, including coop work terms, are considered an asset
- Programming experience using Java, VB.net, ASP.net, XML, C#
- Experience with relational databases
- Knowledge of SSRS Reporting, SharePoint development, Microsoft Office Products,
- Strong written and oral English communication skills
- Strong analytical and decision making skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to communicate and coordinate with other departments and stakeholders
- Experience with MS Excel, VBA and pivot tables would be an asset
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain clearance under the Canadian Controlled Goods Program.