|Manager, Export Control & Security - Ottawa, Ontario
Telesat is a leading global satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite-delivered communications solutions worldwide to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, the company’s state-of-the-art fleet consists of 17 GEO satellites, the Canadian payload on ViaSat-1 and one Phase 1 LEO satellite which is the start of Telesat’s planned advanced global LEO satellite constellation that will offer ultra-low latency, extremely high throughput, affordable broadband services. Telesat is also a leading technical consultant providing high value expertise and support to satellite operators, insurers and other industry participants on a global basis. Privately held, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL).
Manager, Export Control & Security:
- Develops policies and procedures to comply with domestic and foreign regulations while protecting company interests.
- Works on complex problems where analysis of situation requires in-depth evaluation of regulations, contractual obligations and business requirements.
- Exercises independent judgment in planning, scheduling, organizing, controlling and monitoring activities.
- Exercises initiative and sound judgment in adapting procedures to address unusual situations and resolve policy conflicts.
- Provides oversight of the Controlled Goods and Security Officer.
- Provide guidance to management and employees on security requirements for the Ottawa office, including the Contract Security Program and the Controlled Goods Program.
- Provides guidance to management and Designated Officials in regional offices on the requirements of the Contract Security Program and Controlled Goods Program.
- Provides guidance to management and employees in the interpretation of the regulatory and contractual requirements relating to export controls under the EIPA and ITAR/EAR and any other applicable export control laws and regulations.
- Provides oversight of COMSEC Custodians.
What YOU will do:
- Manages the activities and provides leadership within the Export Control and Security Group in cost-effective manner, ensuring that the objectives of the group are met and resources are leveraged in support of corporate priorities.
- Maintains Telesat’s compliance to Canada’s Controlled Goods Program, Canadian and US export regulations, as well as any applicable foreign export control regulations.
- Maintains any required registrations under ITAR/EAR for Telesat and its US subsidiaries, prepares ITAR/EAR export authorization applications and maintains compliance elements as applicable.
- Reviews US Export Licenses and related correspondence (TAAs, DSP 5s, DSP 83s, NDAs, End Use Statements etc.) to ensure Telesat's interests are addressed.
- Provides ongoing education of, and continuous contact with employees to ensure exports are conducted within the required regulatory framework, applicable license restrictions, and compliant with Company policy.
- Acts as CGP Designated Official for Telesat’s Ottawa office.
- Ensures Telesat’s facilities maintain registration under the Contract Security Program and continuously meet the requirements of the Industrial Security Directorate (ISD) as applicable.
- Represents the company during Federal Government facility security inspections.
- Manages Personnel Security Screening including CGP security assessments of employees.
- Co-ordinates compliance to Security Requirement Check Lists (SRCLs) for government contracts.
- Works with internal and external stakeholders for the administration of security requirements on all subcontracts prior to contract award and during the term of the agreement.
- Processes visit clearance requests and oversees the procedures for internal visitors.
- Ensures overall company compliance to COMSEC security directives.
- Manages all aspects of physical security for the Ottawa facility, including the card access and alarm system.
- Prepares budget, accounts for and approves expenditures by the Group.
What YOU need:
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferred) or diploma in related discipline.
- Minimum 4 years experience as ACSO/CSO and/or CGP Designated Official.
- Solid understanding of the requirements under Canadian Export Permit Regulations, US International Traffic and Arms Regulations, US Export Administration Regulations.
- Solid understanding of the Controlled Goods Program (CGP).
- Solid understanding of the requirements under the Contract Security Program, including personnel screening, safeguarding, subcontracting and visitor clearances.
- International Trade, Export Controls, COMSEC or Security training at post-secondary level an asset.
- Well developed organizational skills, excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to delegate responsibilities and resources.
- Ability to interpret complex regulations and contracts and develop policies and procedures to effect compliance.
- Must display a high degree of initiative, discretion, integrity, and personal judgment.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong computer abilities, especially in the Microsoft Office suite.
- Sound communication skills with the ability to articulate to all levels of employees, as well as with Government and Military officials on matters relating to Controlled Goods, Export Control, Industrial Security Procedures, and Visitor Clearances coordination.
- An effective trainer.
- Considerable attention to detail.
As security is a 24/7 function, incumbent may be called in or consulted outside normal business hours as circumstances warrant