|Programmer Analyst - Ottawa, Ontario
Telesat is a leading global satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite-delivered communications solutions worldwide to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, the company’s state-of-the-art fleet consists of 16 GEO satellites, the Canadian payload on ViaSat-1 and one Phase 1 LEO satellite, which is the start of Telesat,’s planned advanced global LEO satellite constellation that will offer ultra-low latency, extremely high throughput, and affordable broadband services. Telesat is also a leading technical consultant providing high value expertise and support to satellite operators, insurers and other industry participants on a global basis. Privately held, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL).
Reporting to the Manager, Business Systems; the incumbent will design and develop both new and enhancements to software applications that meet business specification.
How you will contribute
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of the company’s application portfolio, development tools, and development procedures.
- Actively participate in the development and review of business and system requirements to obtain a thorough understanding of business needs in order to deliver accurate solutions.
- Provide development activities level of effort and duration estimates for schedule planning. The developer is expected to proactively manage activities to deliver required work on time.
- Design application solutions that fully implement business requirements.
- Develop software code in accordance with established company standards and development guidelines.
- Perform adequate unit testing of own and other developers’ application development work. At a minimum, unit testing should ensure all requirements have been addressed, all basic functionality works, and errors are handled properly.
- Troubleshoot application production issues in a timely manner.
- Review and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems and develop strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems.
- Provide updates to Manager on work in progress, work completed, work planned, and issues potentially impacting the on time completion or quality level of work.
- Complete project responsibilities including design, coding, unit testing, and documentation on time at required quality level.
- Support all current applications, as well as take lead in new application development initiatives to rewrite older applications in newer technologies.
Education and Experience Required
- University Computer Science degree
- A minimum of 3 years of directly related working experience in business application development
- Extensive programming experience using C#, VB.net, ASP.net, Java, Python
- Experience with web services
- Experience with Cloud integration is an asset
- Experience with MS Excel, VBA and pivot tables would be an asset
- Experience with relational databases
- Knowledge of SSRS Reporting, SharePoint development, Microsoft Office Products
- Strong written and oral English communication skills
- Strong analytical and decision making skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to communicate and coordinate with other departments and stakeholders
- Must be willing to accept minimal travel to national and international locations.
- Occasional overtime required.
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain clearance under the Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP).