|LEO Software Development Senior Engineer L40-2019 - Ottawa, Ontario
Telesat is a leading global satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite-delivered communications solutions worldwide to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, the company’s state-of-the-art fleet consists of 16 GEO satellites, the Canadian payload on ViaSat-1 and one Phase 1 LEO satellite, which is the start of Telesat,’s planned advanced global LEO satellite constellation that will offer ultra-low latency, extremely high throughput, and affordable broadband services. Telesat is also a leading technical consultant providing high value expertise and support to satellite operators, insurers and other industry participants on a global basis. Privately held, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL).
The Software Development Senior Engineer will lead the development of the Constellation Network Operating System (CNOS) component of the Network Operations Support System (netOSS) for Telesat’s LEO Constellation.
How you will contribute
- Work with prime contractors (and associated subcontractors) to ensure the delivery of a state-of-the-art, integrated and consistent CNOS
- Provide expertise on constellation network automation and system resource management to the broader Telesat LEO constellation team
- Make technical presentations to executive management to support recommendations on software design, development and deployment
- Work with the netOSS architect to document and maintain the CNOS development and deployment plans.
- Work with the netOSS architect to develop required documentation for proper management and execution of the development and deployment plans.
- Track prime contractor progress on a continuous basis to ensure timely and compliant execution and, if required, implement corrective action plans to maintain schedule timelines.
Education & Experience Required
- Bachelor's degree in technical or engineering field or equivalent practical experience
- At least 5 years of relevant industry experience with automation and modelling system
- Experience in developing and/or maintaining production-grade systems for medium- or large-scale enterprise
Specialized Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Experience with building and running large scale, distributed, highly-available, fault-tolerant, multi-tier applications running on both Windows and Linux
- Experience in virtualization, multi-tenant cloud infrastructures and distributed storage systems
- Experience with computational optimization techniques
- Familiarity with software-defined network principles and architectures
- Familiarity with SRE concepts considered an asset
- Knowledge of networking technologies (Ethernet, IP, MPLS, DVB-S2X, etc.) considered an asset
- Knowledge of satellite RF communications technologies considered an asset
- Occasional international travel is required
- In this role, the incumbent will have influence on the design, development and deployment of the Constellation Network Operating System. They will need to make recommendations and decisions based on their experience.
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain clearance under the Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP).