|LEO Payload Engineering Specialist L9-2019 - Ottawa, Ontario
Telesat is a leading global satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite-delivered communications solutions worldwide to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, the company’s state-of-the-art fleet consists of 16 GEO satellites, the Canadian payload on ViaSat-1 and one Phase 1 LEO satellite, which is the start of Telesat,’s planned advanced global LEO satellite constellation that will offer ultra-low latency, extremely high throughput, and affordable broadband services. Telesat is also a leading technical consultant providing high value expertise and support to satellite operators, insurers and other industry participants on a global basis. Privately held, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL).
As a LEO Payload Engineering Specialist reporting to Director Space Programs and Operations, the Specialist will provide technical expertise on complex LEO communications satellite payloads in support of Telesat LEO Constellation program. This includes participation in analysis to develop specifications, RFP preparation, proposal evaluation, design evaluation, valuation of development and qualification plans, monitoring establishment and execution of payload production at scale, oversight of integration and test, and participation in in-orbit testing. Expert knowledge of digital signal processing, new technology development and high volume production of satellite payload hardware will make the incumbent a key player within the organization.
How you will contribute
- Perform end-to-end communications system analysis to define payload specifications and payload architectures to include advanced digital components such as on-board processors (OBP), Inter-satellite Links and active antennas
- Provide technical expertise in areas of communications satellite payloads including design, development and qualification of new technologies, and the implementation of high volume production
- Provide expert technical support to Telesat senior management. Interface directly with senior technical and management staff.
- Prepare and present detailed technical reports/presentations for Telesat engineering and/or technical/senior management.
- Lead in analyzing and developing payload specifications and test requirements during RFP preparation, bid evaluation and contract negotiations.
- Analyze design review packages and actively participate in design review meetings. Identify areas of potential risk, and recommend appropriate preventative actions. Effect design, test, schedule and cost trade-offs advantageous to the program
- Witness and evaluate unit and subsystem testing, and units and satellite level assembly, integration and tests.
- Lead in troubleshooting problems with the design and/or test of spacecraft communications payloads or payload units.
- Interface directly with peer contractor engineering staff to understand and resolve design, production or test issues
- Provide technical guidance to senior and junior engineers in the LEO payload team as required.
- Assesses and agrees, if acceptable, on behalf of Telesat, changes in payload designs, specifications and tests proposed by the contractor. Refers contract changes to the appropriate authority and recommends acceptance or rejection.
- Provides advice to engineering and program management relating to technical and schedule risks on programs.
Education & Experience Required
- Masters or Bachelor degree in Electrical/Telecommunications Engineering specializing in satellite communications
- 15+ years practical industry experience in communications satellite payload engineering
Specialized Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Experience in the design, development, assembly, integration and test for complex satellite payload systems for LEO and GEO satellites
- Expertise in payload budgets, analysis and specifications
- Experience with digital on board processor development, implementation and integration
- Design and/or procurement experience with payload hardware (Antennas, LTWTAs, receivers, multiplexers, plus other active and passive components used in a communications payload)
- Good understanding of digital filtering, channelization and on-board switching would be an asset
- Experience with test requirements for payload units and payload subsystems
- Experience in Satellite Communications Networks design and control desired
- Experience in the implementation and management of high volume satellite payload production
- Strong technical, presentation, interpersonal, written and communication skills as the position will require day-to-day independent working with senior Telesat and supplier personnel
- Independent and self-motivated
- Work requires considerable attention to detail
- Expert using Microsoft Excel, familiarity with MatLab software and general computer skills (particularly related to managing and securing thousands of files received on a project)
- Frequent International travel may be required for this role. A valid passport will need to be available at all times.
- The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain clearance under the Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP).