|Senior LEO Product Assurance Engineer L23- 2019 - Ottawa, Ontario
Telesat is a leading global satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite-delivered communications solutions worldwide to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, the company’s state-of-the-art fleet consists of 16 GEO satellites, the Canadian payload on ViaSat-1 and one Phase 1 LEO satellite, which is the start of Telesat,’s planned advanced global LEO satellite constellation that will offer ultra-low latency, extremely high throughput, and affordable broadband services. Telesat is also a leading technical consultant providing high value expertise and support to satellite operators, insurers and other industry participants on a global basis. Privately held, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL).
The Senior LEO Product Assurance Engineer will provide oversight of all Product Assurance activities undertaken by the Spacecraft supplier for the Telesat LEO Constellation. The PA Engineer will be responsible for evaluation of product assurance plans, process development, and supplier management plans and will ensure that the supplier implements and adheres to these plans throughout all phases of the program from initial design through production. The PA Engineer will have primary responsibility for non-conformance management at Telesat.
How you will contribute
- Responsible for the product assurance and reliability requirements for The Telesat LEO Constellation space segment
- Ensure that spacecraft supplier Qualification, Integration and Test plans and procedures meet the requirements to ensure robust validation and appropriate traceability and reporting
- Coordinate Product Assurance Plan approval
- Ensure Prime contractor’s quality and supplier management systems are adequate and accessible and ensure that supplier is disciplined in the execution of the program in accordance with these systems
- Review, collect inputs and provide feedback and approval of the Parts and Materials plans at final assembly and supplier levels
- Participate in all Spacecraft and production design reviews and key supplier design reviews to evaluate and provide feedback on process development and maturity
- Encourage program-wide parts procurement, screening and qualification driving best-practices
- Identify parts and materials risks and work with Prime Contractor to implement risk reduction efforts
- Participate in all supplier Equipment Qualification Status Reviews
- Ensure that any non-conformances and anomaly investigations being tracked are fully addressed with corrective actions including managing the customer side of Spacecraft Material Review Board and Configuration Control Boards
- Tracking the qualification status of hardware and software to a satisfactory conclusion
- Management of Requests for Deviation and Requests For Waivers
- Quality auditing of spacecraft manufacturers and their subcontractors
- Reporting on non-conformance and anomaly metrics
- Witness and evaluate unit and subsystems qualification testing and satellite level assembly, integration and test and perform mandatory inspections as deemed necessary
- Interface directly with peer Contractor engineering staff to understand and resolve design, production or test issues.
- Provide focus for spacecraft and production specialties including reliability, radiation, DFM, DFT, FMECA, EMI/EMC, electrical power converters, structure, thermal, and WCA, ensuring these disciplines are adequately addressed in the design and implementation of the spacecraft
- Prepare and present detailed technical reports/presentations to engineering and/or technical management.
Education & Experience Required
- Bachelor of Engineering or Masters of Engineering in Aerospace, Electrical, Mechanical, Manufacturing or Industrial Engineering is required
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a high quality high reliability production environment
Specialized Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Experience in Product Assurance and Quality Assurance in the aerospace domain where quality and reliability are of the utmost importance
- Experience in managing production activities and the resolution of quality related issues
- Process oriented
- Experience in configuration, administration and data management
- Ability to summarize complex problems and provide solutions and recommendations
- Understanding of production and quality standards and processes
- Strong technical, presentation, interpersonal and communication skills
- Independent self-starter with good project management capabilities
- Fluent in English, written and oral
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain clearance under the Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP).