|LEO Senior Technical Writer-L47-2019 - Ottawa, Ontario
Telesat is a leading global satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite-delivered communications solutions worldwide to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, the company’s state-of-the-art fleet consists of 16 GEO satellites, the Canadian payload on ViaSat-1 and one Phase 1 LEO satellite, which is the start of Telesat,’s planned advanced global LEO satellite constellation that will offer ultra-low latency, extremely high throughput, and affordable broadband services. Telesat is also a leading technical consultant providing high value expertise and support to satellite operators, insurers and other industry participants on a global basis. Privately held, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL).
We are currently looking for a Senior Technical Writer in our Ottawa office to create and maintain a comprehensive library of Telesat LEO Product documents and relevant documents for processes, procedures and task related to customer services and operation. The Senior Technical Writer will be writing, reviewing and editing service the product documents, reports and customer service related materials
How you will contribute
- Create and maintain up-to-date a library of technical terminology and documentation.
- Ensure that all documents in the library maintain continuity of style of content
- Work closely with technical product managers, engineering and business development to support product and services description documents, product policies, service implementation process and procedures
- Partner with engineering, operations, business development and other key stakeholders to identify and implement continues improvement within the customer lifecycle process
- Document work flows and process to maintain library and data integrity
Education & Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications or a related field
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience writing technical documentation with a minimum of 2 years in either satellite communications, the telecommunication sector, or in a closely related area
Specialized Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication (written and oral) skills
- Expert with industry standard document editing software such as Microsoft Word and PowerPoint. Deep understanding of style and format management for the production of high quality documentation
- Proficient with industry standard photo and image editing software such as Adobe Photoshop.
- Able to write in a clear and concise manner to convey information appropriate for an internal or external audience
- Experience with best practices and modern formats for technical and marketing written materials
- Self-motivated and a demonstrated ability to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to manage priorities, timelines and quality of work
- Demonstrated strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills in a cross-functional organization
- Able to manage sensitive documents and information in compliance with company policies
- Able to support the LEO technical team, sales and marketing in ad-hoc documents requirements
- High-level understanding of satellite communication, network and telecommunication technologies
- Develop and recommend solutions for document content, formats and storage for Telesat LEO library
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain clearance under the Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP).