|LEO Software Development Specialist, CCMS - L39 -2019 - Ottawa, Ontario
Telesat is a leading global satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite-delivered communications solutions worldwide to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, the company’s state-of-the-art fleet consists of 16 GEO satellites, the Canadian payload on ViaSat-1 and one Phase 1 LEO satellite, which is the start of Telesat,’s planned advanced global LEO satellite constellation that will offer ultra-low latency, extremely high throughput, and affordable broadband services. Telesat is also a leading technical consultant providing high value expertise and support to satellite operators, insurers and other industry participants on a global basis. Privately held, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL).
How you will contribute
- Lead the development of the Constellation Capacity Management System (CCMS) for Telesat’s LEO Constellation.
- Work with the Telesat DevOps team to ensure the delivery of a state-of-the-art, integrated and consistent CCMS
- Provide expertise on software development methodology with a focus on constellation capacity management to the broader Telesat LEO constellation team
- Document and maintain the CCMS development and deployment plans
- Develop required documentation for proper management and execution of the development and deployment plans
- Make technical presentations to management to support recommendations on software design, development and deployment
- Work with the System Operations Manager to track progress on a continuous basis to ensure timely and compliant execution and, if required, implement corrective action plans to prevent the overall schedule becoming compromised
- Occasional international travel is anticipated.
- In this role, the incumbent will have influence on the design, development and deployment of the Constellation Capacity Management System. They will need to make recommendations and decisions based on their experience.
- This role has no direct reports, but will work and interact with multi-disciplinary engineering, contracts, legal, and commercial teams.
Education & Experience Required
- Bachelor's degree in technical or engineering field or equivalent practical experience
- At least 10 years of relevant industry experience with automation and modelling systems
- Recognized expert in developing and/or maintaining production-grade systems for medium- or large-scale enterprise.
Specialized Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience with building and running large scale, distributed, highly-available, fault-tolerant, multi-tier applications running on both Windows and Linux
- Experience in virtualization, multi-tenant cloud infrastructures and distributed storage systems
- Experience with computational optimization techniques
- Familiarity with software-defined network principles and architectures
- Familiarity with SRE (Site Reliability Engineering) concepts considered an asset
- Knowledge of networking technologies (Ethernet, IP, MPLS, DVB-S2X, etc.) considered an asset
- Knowledge of satellite RF communications technologies considered an asset
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain clearance under the Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP).