Telesat is a leading global satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite-delivered communications solutions worldwide to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, the company’s state-of-the-art fleet consists of 16 GEO satellites, the Canadian payload on ViaSat-1 and one Phase 1 LEO satellite, which is the start of Telesat,’s planned advanced global LEO satellite constellation that will offer ultra-low latency, extremely high throughput, and affordable broadband services. Telesat is also a leading technical consultant providing high value expertise and support to satellite operators, insurers and other industry participants on a global basis. Privately held, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL).
The Senior Communications System Engineer will work in collaboration with the different engineering teams within the Telesat LEO program to develop and maintain system level documents and to ensure proper flow down of requirements through the different segments of the system. In addition, they will assess system level performance of satellite links into user terminals and derive associated throughput performance using Link Budget analysis tools, based on Matlab or other script programing language.
How you will contribute
- Interface with Product Management to review new or evolving customer requirements and validate compatibility with the system requirements.
- Document proposed changes required to the system requirements and associated flow down so that changes can be reviewed and approved by the Change Control Board (CCB)
- Work in collaboration with the Verification and Validation group to plan proper validation of the requirements to ensure appropriate system performance
- Participate to design review with suppliers. Review documentation developed and validate compliance to system requirements.
- Develop Matlab (or other script language) tools to conduct detailed performance analysis of the system performance in terms of data throughput, latency, satellite hand-over performance, availability based on equipment performance specifications.
- Occasional international travel is anticipated
Education & Experience Required
- B. Sc. in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering and a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in satellite communications.
- Good experience in system design, requirement management and communication systems performance assessments
- Experience in using requirement management software tools
- Experience in V-model system engineering methodology
- Experience with satellite link budget analyses with good understanding of effects of impairments on the link performance
- Good understanding of air interfaces, modem technologies, modulation and coding and its impact on the satellite link performance
Specialized Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Creative problem-solver with thorough attention to detail.
- Highly collaborative team player who can quickly earn the confidence of co-workers and teammates.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with management, engineering teams and partners / suppliers.
- Experience with business considerations and practical limitations related to system design and implementation.
- Ability to prioritize opportunities, needs and resources.
- An aptitude for and interest in complex technology
- Matlab coding skills
- Fluent in English, written and oral.
Decision Making & Supervision:
- In this role, the incumbent will issue recommendations and have influence on the system design of the Telesat LEO system.
- This role has no direct reports.
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain clearance under the Canadian Controlled Goods program (CGP).