Telesat is a leading global satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite-delivered communications solutions worldwide to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, the company’s state-of-the-art fleet consists of 16 GEO satellites, the Canadian payload on ViaSat-1 and one Phase 1 LEO satellite, which is the start of Telesat,’s planned advanced global LEO satellite constellation that will offer ultra-low latency, extremely high throughput, and affordable broadband services. Telesat is also a leading technical consultant providing high value expertise and support to satellite operators, insurers and other industry participants on a global basis. Privately held, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL).
Telesat currently has an opening for an Electrical Power Engineer to join the Infrastructure Engineering team. The Electrical Power Engineer will work closely with a team of highly skilled professionals in a collaborative environment.
Reporting to the Manager of Infrastructure Engineering, the Electrical Power Engineer will design, develop, review and maintain corporate electrical systems used at Telesat’s teleports, earth stations and electrical systems at customer facilities. The incumbent will also participate in consulting projects and provide support and input to the sales team as required.
How You Will Contribute
- Design cost effective electrical systems to power satellite telecommunication services and networks.
- Prepare construction cost estimates.
- Evaluate existing electrical systems and recommend design modifications or equipment repairs where required.
- Prepare detailed calculations to develop construction and installation standards and specifications.
- Work with project managers to ensure projects are satisfactorily completed and are on time and within budget.
- Direct manufacturing, installing, and testing of electrical equipment to ensure that products meet specifications and codes.
- Prepare detailed reports to document electrical activities and to ensure smooth handover to the Operations team.
- Analyze customer needs and determine electrical system requirements, capacity and costs to develop a system plan.
- Develop maintenance and testing procedures for electrical components and equipment.
- Attend and actively participate in customer meetings.
- Prepare and present proposals to and review requirements directly with customers.
Education & Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering and a minimum of five years of related work experience in the Electrical power-engineering field.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng) in Ontario or eligible for registration as a P.Eng in Ontario.
- Experience with testing and commissioning electrical systems and equipment in the field is an asset for this role.
- Strong understanding of the buildings and infrastructure construction process is an asset.
- Strong communication skills, technical writing ability, organizational skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience with AutoCAD and other computer aided design software is an asset.
- The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain clearance under the Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP).
- Some domestic and international travel may be required; therefore, candidates will need to maintain an up-to-date passport and remain legally able to travel.
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain clearance under the Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP).