|Purchase Contract Specialist - Ottawa, Ontario
Telesat is a leading global satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite-delivered communications solutions worldwide to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, the company’s state-of-the-art fleet consists of 16 GEO satellites, the Canadian payload on ViaSat-1 and one Phase 1 LEO satellite, which is the start of Telesats’ planned advanced global LEO satellite constellation that will offer ultra-low latency, extremely high throughput, and affordable broadband services. Telesat is also a leading technical consultant providing high value expertise and support to satellite operators, insurers and other industry participants on a global basis. Privately held, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL).
The Purchase Contract Specialist’s primary responsibility is the negotiation, drafting, interpretation, and management of a wide range of purchase contracts. The Purchase Contract Specialist must also be prepared to manage the procurement of goods and services at the lowest possible price considering quality, delivery, service, and contractual terms.
How you will contribute
- Independently negotiate, draft, interpret, and manage a wide range of complex purchase contracts (including software, hardware, telecom, network, facilities, professional services, and non-disclosure contracts) in a timely and professional manner ensuring optimum terms and conditions are obtained;
- Monitor and complete contract close-outs, extensions or renewals as appropriate;
- Analyze procurement requirements and provide advice and viable solutions to clients on all aspects of the procurement contracts and processes;
- Prepare, implement and manage RFP/RFQ/RFI processes. This includes follow up through to the finalization and execution of purchasing contracts as well as the proper management and retention of any related documents or records;
- Recommend and initiate processes to improve effectiveness and efficiency in procurement while maintaining or improving client service;
- Provide leadership and support to project teams and departments (primarily sales and engineering) on behalf of the procurement department, leveraging both personal and departmental specialized expertise to meet corporate goals;
- Organize and chair supplier meetings, teleconferences and presentations;
- Track cost savings, cost control and accomplishments; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Procurement of Goods and Services
- Perform as a fully authorized procurement officer with signing authority (as designated by the CFO), issuing requests for quotations and purchase orders, obtaining, analyzing and evaluating quotations, investigating new and alternative sources of supply and establishing cohesive supplier relationships;
Education & Experience Required
- Post-secondary education (College or University graduate in commerce, business administration, law or a related discipline or an acceptable combination of education, training, and/or relevant work experience).
- A minimum of seven (7) years experience in complex purchase contract negotiations, drafting, interpretation, and management.
Specialized Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of contract terms and conditions.
- Proven experience and ability to negotiate, draft, interpret, and manage complex purchase contracts.
- Helpful, but not necessary, to have experience in telecommunications industry.
- Excellent negotiating, organization, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Working knowledge of financial, transportation, customs and taxation issues.
- Understanding of supply chain management principles.
- Ability to work independently and/or in a team environment, and to assume a leadership role in a team environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Must be proficient in English (French language skills are an asset).
- Ability to set priorities to ensure timely completion of tasks.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word.
- One of a limited number of positions within Telesat with responsibility and accountability for the commitment of funds by purchase order; and
- Leads the negotiation, drafting, interpretation, and management of complex purchase contracts.Supervision Exercised
- Purchase Contract Specialist may temporarily assume some supervisory functions in the absence of the Manager, Procurement.
- Must be able to negotiate terms and conditions of contracts in adversarial situations under tight timelines.
- Must be able to handle a heavy workload with competing and changing demands.
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain clearance under the Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP).