Backed by a legacy of engineering excellence, reliability, and industry-leading customer service, Telesat has grown to be one of the largest and most successful global satellite operators. Telesat works collaboratively with its customers to deliver critical connectivity solutions that tackle the world’s most complex communications challenges, providing powerful advantages that improve their operations and drive growth.
Telesat LEO, our Low Earth Orbit network scheduled to begin service in 2022, will revolutionize global broadband connectivity by delivering a combination of high capacity, security, resiliency, and affordability with ultra-low latency and fiber-like speeds. Privately held and headquartered in downtown Ottawa, with offices and facilities around the world, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL). For more information, visit www.telesat.com.
The Financial Accounting Analyst will be the main point of contact and expected to be the expert on the capital and intangible asset queries and reports. Other areas of expertise will include Capital Expenditure (CAPEX), reporting and monthly variance analysis/reporting. This position will be responsible for the ongoing maintenance of the Telesat Inventory Fixed Asset subledger/database.
In addition, this position holds ownership of specific general ledger accounts, which includes recording monthly transactions, monthly account reconciliations and other financial reports following up/investigating and unreconciled differences.
How you will contribute
- Depreciation processing for fixed assets and intangibles for fixed assets and intangibles for multi-company, multi-currency organization having a significant asset base in both value and volume.
- Preparation of fixed asset and intangible continuities in functional and reporting currencies for individual orgs, set of books and consolidated
- Manage fixed asset database and subledgers
- Responsible for ensuring that assets are setup and amortized in accordance with the Capitalization Policy
- Review of Depreciation rules and asset locations
- Ensure that the database, subledger and general ledger agree by company, account and location, investigating and resolving any discrepancies
- Monthly analysis of fixed asset related accounts for budgets, spending and other measures.
- Capital expenditure reporting on monthly /quarterly/annual basis
- Preparation of other quarterly and annual capital related reports.
- Responsible for other ad-hoc related reporting both internally and externally.
- Ownership of specified general ledger accounts. Prepare monthly accounting entries and reconciliations:
- Prepaid accounts
- Debt related accounts
- Lease accounts
- Accrual accounts
- Impairment testing of fixed assets and intangibles on a monthly/quarterly/annual basis
- Preparing annual forecast for depreciation and amortization by individual organization and compiling to complete consolidated forecast in reporting currency.
- High-level variance analysis documenting trends, variances and any other account movement of note.
- Other ad-hoc projects identified within the accounting operations group.
Education and Experience required
- University degree in Commerce/Business Administration and an accounting designation, OR;
- Post-secondary education in accounting or equivalent and extensive direct experience in these functions.
- Must have experience recording entries in multiple currencies
- Must be detail oriented and with exceptional documentation skills with respect to content and presentation.
- Sound knowledge of IFRS
- Strong research and problem solving skills
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to deal effectively with both financial and non-financial people
- Intermediate or advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Working knowledge of ERP system.
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain a Reliability Status Government clearance.