|HR Generalist - Ottawa, Ontario
Telesat is a leading global satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite-delivered communications solutions worldwide to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, the company’s state-of-the-art fleet consists of 16 GEO satellites, the Canadian payload on ViaSat-1 and one Phase 1 LEO satellite, which is the start of Telesat’s planned advanced global LEO satellite constellation that will offer ultra-low latency, extremely high throughput, and affordable broadband services. Telesat is also a leading technical consultant providing high value expertise and support to satellite operators, insurers and other industry participants on a global basis. Privately held, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL).
Reporting to the Manager, Human Resources the Human Resources Generalist is responsible for providing a wide range of human resources services and support to its client groups and other members of the Human Resources team.
How you will contribute
General Human Resources
- Act as first point of HR contact for client groups, primarily U.S. and International locations and a subsidiary in Calgary.
- Work closely with other Human Resources Generalists to coordinate appropriate coverage for all components of the Generalist responsibilities and projects.
- Maintain current knowledge and understanding of relevant regulations, applicable laws and human resource practices and ensure compliance.
- Support recruitment efforts by working with hiring managers to update existing and develop new job descriptions and job postings, assisting recruiter as required with pre-screening and interviewing candidates, and drafting employment offer letters.
- Assist with development, implementation, and ongoing administration of HR programs and policies (e.g. on boarding, performance management, service awards, health and safety, relocation, attendance management, etc.).
- Provide onboarding and advisory services to employees as it relates to payroll, benefits, or pension options by educating employees on their entitlements and identifying and understanding their needs to provide advice and options. Develop and expand the onboarding and intranet information accessibility so that program, policy and procedure information is accurate, consistent and readily available to all employees.
- Assist with cross-border immigration requirements.
- Manage authorized leave programs including year-end vacation accrual calculations.
- Maintain current human resources materials, including job descriptions, policies, information on H.R. shared directory and on intranet site as applicable.
- Respond to various ad-hoc requests for information and analyses.
- Complete various filings and submissions.
- Participate in and support ad hoc special projects.
- Provide support to other HR functions, as required.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Interface with external providers and oversee resolution of discrepancies with carriers, employees, payroll and the company.
- Participate as required in the Canadian benefit renewal process.
- Oversee the annual renewal process for the United Kingdom, Singapore and Brazil.
- Manage the annual Open Enrollment exercise in the United States and ensure all annual filings are completed in a timely manner.
- Oversee and lead all of the benefits administration work being completed by other team members including enrollments, terminations, invoice payments and benefit queries.
- Participate in best practices surveys, analyze results, and develop recommendations.
- Working closely with Telesat’s employee benefits consultants, assist in the development of specifications for new plans and recommend changes to existing plans to ensure cost effectiveness, competitive positioning in labor market, and consistent benefit coverage at various locations.
- Maintain and disseminate benefit related materials.
- Ensure compliance with all benefit related laws and regulations.
- Ensure all regulatory reports are prepared and filed.
Education and Experience Required
- University degree in a relevant discipline.
- 4+ years of relevant work experience as a Human Resources Generalist in a private sector, fast paced business setting.
- Sound understanding of global human resources practices and laws, benefits and payroll framework, health and welfare programs.
- Advanced communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills.
- Solid analytical experience, problem solving skills and strong attention to detail.
- Highly organized, flexible and demonstrated ability to take initiative.
- Sound judgment and very strong work ethic.
- Proven ability to work to deadlines and manage stressful situations.
- Ability to work a flexible work week which may include scheduled and unscheduled overtime as required.
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain a Reliability Status Government Clearance. Strong proficiency with MS Office and HRMS.