|Manager, Treasury and Risk Management - Ottawa, Ontario
Backed by a 50-year legacy of engineering excellence, reliability and industry-leading customer service, Telesat has grown to be one of the largest and most successful global satellite operators. Telesat works collaboratively with its customers to deliver critical connectivity solutions that tackle the world’s most complex communications challenges, providing powerful advantages that improve their operations and drive growth.
In addition to our state-of-the-art global, geostationary satellite fleet, Telesat LEO, our Low Earth Orbit network scheduled to begin service in 2022, will revolutionize global broadband connectivity by delivering a combination of high capacity, security, resiliency and affordability with ultra-low latency and fiber-like speeds.
Telesat also provides industry-leading technical consultation and support services to satellite operators, insurers and other industry stakeholders around the globe.
Privately held and headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL). For more information, visit www.telesat.com.
About The Role
The Manager, Treasury and Risk Management is responsible for: Cash Management, Financing, Treasury Compliance, Treasury Reporting, and Risk Management (including insurance). The Manager is actively involved in the cash management function, treasury compliance, and treasury reporting functions and provides essential backup, expertise and a level of review for all of these functions.
- Management of the company’s cash and banking activities, including global subsidiaries: cash forecasting, short-term investing and borrowing, adjustments to intercompany balances, foreign exchange and interest rate strategy formulation and execution of hedging arrangements, letters of credit, performance bonds, preparation of required banking documentation, bank account management and compliance with financial risk management policies.
- Review of all Treasury-related inputs to the quarterly and annual public reporting process: financial instrument valuations, financial covenant calculations and disclosure documents, and manage Treasury reporting process to lenders and shareholders.
- Support to corporate ERP implementation and eventual Treasury automation.
- Management of Telesat’s risk management and insurance programs, including the internal risk management review processes, contract review for risk management requirements, compliance and insurance program placement
- Assists the Director Treasury and Risk Management with ad-hoc requests and special projects, including financing, pension and risk management.
- Performs general supervision and manages overall activities of the direct report.
Education and Experience Required
- University graduate with degree in Business, Commence or Economics;
- Professional Accounting and/or Auditing Designation (CPA, CA, CMA, CGA, or CIA); CFA or graduate business degree desirable.
- Minimum of eight years of experience in a treasury, risk management or financial/accounting/banking environment preferred.
Specialized Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of cash management, foreign exchange, hedging instruments, and risk transfer mechanisms.
- Thorough knowledge of the Company’s financial and risk management arrangements.
- Strong analytical ability and reasoning skills to review complex legal/financial documents and corporate forecasts in order to assess treasury compliance and/or financial impacts and/or risk management impacts, and communicate implications.
- Excellent communication skills, written and spoken.
- Excellent Word, Excel and Powerpoint skills.
Decision Making & Supervision
- Full responsibility for organizing & planning workloads within area of responsibility
- Exercises independent judgment and initiative with respect to treasury and risk management compliance
- Entrusted with the effective and proper placement of the company’s funds and is held accountable for all activities related to these funds
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain a Reliability Status Government Clearance.