Backed by a 50-year legacy of engineering excellence, reliability and industry-leading customer service, Telesat has grown to be one of the largest and most successful global satellite operators. Telesat works collaboratively with its customers to deliver critical connectivity solutions that tackle the world’s most complex communications challenges, providing powerful advantages that improve their operations and drive growth.
In addition to our state-of-the-art global, geostationary satellite fleet, Telesat LEO, our Low Earth Orbit network scheduled to begin service in 2022, will revolutionize global broadband connectivity by delivering a combination of high capacity, security, resiliency and affordability with ultra-low latency and fiber-like speeds.
Telesat also provides industry-leading technical consultation and support services to satellite operators, insurers and other industry stakeholders around the globe.
Privately held and headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL). For more information, visit www.telesat.com.
About the Role
The Data Analytics & Architecture Manager will oversee the Data Analytics team that provides both development services and operational support. The role will be responsible for designing, building and operating the MDMAP, ODMAP, as well as applications and services that are built on these key pieces of infrastructure.
The role has 2 primary responsibilities:
Data Owner: The team of Data Engineers, Data Analysts and Data Scientists is responsible for ingesting, managing and delivering tools and insights from LEO related date. This position will lead them to design and build a comprehensive data management and analytics platform, capable of supporting all Telesat’s needs.
Delivery Manager: This position will establish and oversee the delivery practice for providing Data-as-a-Service and Analytics-as-a-Service to the organization, drive continuous improvement and the adoption of the new tools, oversee operational sustainment, and foster ongoing upskill within the team and organization.
Education & Experience Required
- 5-7 years experience in implementation of data management, analysis and warehousing strategies that have positively impacted business objectives.
- Bachelor's degree or Master’s Degree - Computer Science with specialization in data science or data analytics, or related discipline preferred.
- Comfortable leading meetings and able to communicate issues and trends to senior management and other groups at the appropriate level of detail.
- Excellent communication (verbal, written, presentation) and interpersonal skills.
- Communicates well with own team and across organizational boundaries to ensure the successful completion of shared goals.
- You are advanced in the use of MS Excel to drive data driven reports to influence decisions. This would include creating/maintaining macros, pivot tables & charts.
- At least 3 years of working experience as a people manager, with demonstrated strong leadership & team building skills to allow for the planning and scheduling of team resources to optimize productivity.
- Experience with various Data analytics tools (Scripting, R, Python, SQL, Power BI, Tableau, Databricks, and others)
- Experience designing data analytics systems based on cloud (GCP, AWS, Azure) technologies
- Agile development and Machine Learning experience considered a strong asset.
Decision Making & Supervision
In this role, the incumbent will have significant influence on the architecture of the data storage, vendors involved, and infrastructure for the LEO program. They will need to make recommendations and decisions based on their experience.
This position has direct reports, both existing Telesat Employees, but will also be hiring a number of new Data Scientists, Data Engineers and Data Analysts.
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain a Reliability Status Government clearance.