Backed by a 50-year legacy of engineering excellence, reliability and industry-leading customer service, Telesat has grown to be one of the largest and most successful global satellite operators. Telesat works collaboratively with its customers to deliver critical connectivity solutions that tackle the world’s most complex communications challenges, providing powerful advantages that improve their operations and drive growth.
In addition to our state-of-the-art global, geostationary satellite fleet, Telesat LEO, our Low Earth Orbit network scheduled to begin service in 2022, will revolutionize global broadband connectivity by delivering a combination of high capacity, security, resiliency and affordability with ultra-low latency and fiber-like speeds.
Telesat also provides industry-leading technical consultation and support services to satellite operators, insurers and other industry stakeholders around the globe.
Privately held and headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL). For more information, visit www.telesat.com.
The Senior Software Engineer will work in collaboration with other teams, to support the development and operations (DevOps) of critical software for the Telesat LEO System. In this role, the incumbent will have influence on the design, development and deployment of LEO System Operations software tools. They will need to make recommendations and decisions based on their experience.
This role has no direct reports, but will work and interact with multi-disciplinary engineering, contracts, legal, and commercial teams.
How you will contribute
- Develop in-depth knowledge of system operations requirements, software architecture, and design specifications
- Actively participate in the development and review of system requirements to obtain a thorough understanding of operations needs
- Provide development activities level of effort and duration estimates for planning and scheduling
- Work with development leads to design applications that meet system requirements
- Develop source code following established company standards and development guidelines
- Conduct quality assurance and support debugging promptly
- Provide regular updates to management on work in progress, work completed, work planned and issues potentially impacting the on time completion or quality level of work
- Write technical documentation
Education and Experience required
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, software engineering or equivalent practical experience
- At least 5 years of relevant industry experience working in software development or software engineering
- Familiarity with cloud native design patterns for large scale, distributed, highly-available, fault-tolerant, multi-tier applications
- Familiarity with virtualization, multi-tenant cloud infrastructures and distributed storage systems
- Experience with agile development and software lifecycles
- Hands on programming experience in relevant industry standard languages (e.g. Python, Go, C/C++, Java, etc.)
- Creative problem solving skills and strong analytical and decision making skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Strong written and oral English communication skills
- Familiarity with SRE concepts considered an asset
- Knowledge of computational optimization techniques including ML/AI methods considered an asset
- Knowledge of satellite RF communications technologies considered an asset
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain clearance under the Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP).