Backed by a 50-year legacy of engineering excellence, reliability and industry-leading customer service, Telesat has grown to be one of the largest and most successful global satellite operators. Telesat works collaboratively with its customers to deliver critical connectivity solutions that tackle the world’s most complex communications challenges, providing powerful advantages that improve their operations and drive growth.
In addition to our state-of-the-art global, geostationary satellite fleet, Telesat LEO, our Low Earth Orbit network scheduled to begin service in 2022, will revolutionize global broadband connectivity by delivering a combination of high capacity, security, resiliency and affordability with ultra-low latency and fiber-like speeds.
Telesat also provides industry-leading technical consultation and support services to satellite operators, insurers and other industry stakeholders around the globe.
Privately held and headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL). For more information, visit www.telesat.com.
The Manager, Software Engineering will be working in collaboration with other teams, lead the software engineering team supporting the development and operation (DevOps) of critical software for the Telesat LEO System.
Reporting to the Architecture Lead – they will be responsible for the software engineering work necessary to deliver a comprehensive, integrated, state-of-the-art software suite. In addition, the incumbent will have significant influence on the design, development and deployment of LEO System Operations software tools. They will need to make recommendations and decisions based on their experience.
This role has multiple direct reports, and will work and interact with multi-disciplinary engineering, contracts, legal, and commercial teams.
How you will contribute
- Develop in-depth knowledge of system operations requirements, software architecture, and design specifications
- Actively participate in the development and review of system requirements to obtain a thorough understanding of operations needs
- Perform risk management and change management on software engineering projects
- Articulate the technology, requirements, goals and milestones of the software engineering team
- Keep the software engineering team focused on immediate and short-term goals while coordinating with stakeholders to address long term goals and priorities
- Coordinate the allocation of effort between software development and operations tasks
- Establish professional development plans for the team in order to maintain a high degree of technical competence
- Provide regular updates to management on work in progress, work completed, work planned and issues potentially impacting the on time completion or quality level of work
- Write technical documentation as required
Education & Experience Required
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, software engineering or equivalent practical experience
- At least 10 years of relevant industry experience working in software development or software engineering, with at least 5 years in a management position
- Familiarity with cloud native design patterns for large scale, distributed, highly-available, fault-tolerant, multi-tier applications
- Familiarity with virtualization, multi-tenant cloud infrastructures and distributed storage systems
- Experience with agile development and software lifecycles
- Ability to balance completion of independent work with management of a high performing team
- Highly motivated and able to independently drive projects to completion
- Creative problem solving skills and strong analytical and decision making skills
- Strong written and oral English communication skills
- Familiarity with SRE concepts considered an asset
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain clearance under the Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP).