Backed by a 50-year legacy of engineering excellence, reliability and industry-leading customer service, Telesat has grown to be one of the largest and most successful global satellite operators. Telesat works collaboratively with its customers to deliver critical connectivity solutions that tackle the world’s most complex communications challenges, providing powerful advantages that improve their operations and drive growth.
In addition to our state-of-the-art global, geostationary satellite fleet, Telesat LEO, our Low Earth Orbit network scheduled to begin service in 2022, will revolutionize global broadband connectivity by delivering a combination of high capacity, security, resiliency and affordability with ultra-low latency and fiber-like speeds.
Telesat also provides industry-leading technical consultation and support services to satellite operators, insurers and other industry stakeholders around the globe.
Privately held and headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL). For more information, visit www.telesat.com.
About The Role
The individual in this position is responsible for subsidiary accounting and reporting, and related monthly variance analyses, as well as the preparation of financial statements for management and statutory reporting purposes. In addition, this position holds ownership of specified general ledger accounts, including the intercompany accounts, which includes recording monthly transactions and invoicing, and monthly account reconciliations and analysis.
- Compilation, upload and analysis of the subsidiary group of companies on a monthly basis; main contact point for coordinating monthly financial package submission
- Intercompany journal entries and accounting, including monthly intercompany reconciliation to ensure all intercompany transactions are eliminated
- Invoicing and accounting for related party transactions
- Ownership of specified general ledger accounts. Prepare monthly reconciliations for assigned accounts
- Preparation of monthly and quarterly reporting package for subsidiaries including analysis and financial statements
- Preparation of year end financial statements for statutory reporting purposes
- Assist the Manager with revenue reporting and the review and approval of revenue and accounts receivable journal entries
- Assistance with quarterly and monthly reconciliations and reports specific to revenue and receivables for external reporting
- Point of contact for external auditors related to subsidiary reporting requests
- Assistance as required in new ERP implementation
- Work on special assignments and ad-hoc reporting and financial analysis requests
Education & Experience Required
Education and Experience
- University degree in Commerce / Finance, plus an accounting designation with at least 4 years’ related experience
Specialized Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience with financial statement preparation and management reporting
- Experience recording journal entries in multiple currencies
- Detail oriented with exceptional documentation skills with respect to content and presentation
- Knowledge of IFRS
- Strong research and problem solving skills
- Advanced proficiency in MS Excel (VLOOKUP, Pivot Table etc.)
- Experience with ERP systems
- Ability to work independently under tight month end deadline
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to deal effectively with both financial and non-financial people
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain a Reliability Status Government clearance.