The Senior Contracts Officer plays a key role as the Team Leader for procurement related issues and is responsible for ensuring compliance with Technical, QA and Project requirements while following the rules set forth in the procurement policies and procedures in a Crown Corporations setting.
Responsibilities will include advising and leading a diverse client base in support of all types of contracting needs in the procurement of goods and contracting for services in nuclear safety-related environment with complex requirements, systems and structures, with emphasis in IT project implementations, contracting Resources, Strategic Sourcing, and Managed Services.
They prepare and manage the full tendering process, including: providing input to the client in the drafting of their need; research and preparation of bidders lists / supply sources; Prepare and issue bidding documents; Evaluate bids/proposals, and liaise with Engineering, Quality Assurance, legal etc. to finalize overall evaluation; Negotiate with Suppliers on behalf of Procurement, Engineering and Quality Assurance to arrive at the best overall agreement, including meeting budget and schedule targets; Recommend or select suppliers to senior management. Ensure all requisite approvals are obtained; Complete and execute contracts or purchase orders;
Work with the client groups and project teams to track the project deliverables and expedite where appropriate; Ensure all Clients' necessities are delivered in accordance with the specified requirements; Coordinate flow of materials and information to the client base and monitor the market fluctuations in support of the applicable procurement strategies.
This involves extensive phone contact, e-mail contact and meetings to ensure that requirements arrive as needed at various locations at the required schedule and /or milestone; Ensure all requisite procedure and drawing approvals are obtained, both from the suppliers and from within AECL; Input data to the Procurement Data Base, and/or department records and files, as required. Database tracking and careful documentation of progress on issue resolution is critical; Supervise support staff as required.
The Senior Contracts Officer provides full order administration/expediting on the Purchase Orders that have been placed on the various projects. The Senior Contracts Officer is responsible for the expediting the procurement process and deliverables in a timely manner and the procurement of material and equipment for various project requirements.
- Post secondary education preferred in Business or Technical discipline, plus five to seven years experience in the purchasing field, including having a sound knowledge of purchasing and contracting practices, preferably in a Crown Corporation setting;
- Strong background in IT project implementation, Outsourcing, Strategic Sourcing, and Managed Services;
- PMAC certification or enrolment in PMAC programs is desirable;
- Suitable Order Administration or Expediting education and training in the form of PMAC accreditation or Expediting Association of Canada accreditation is desirable;
- Knowledge of competitive Bidding Laws of Canada and Contract Law in Public Procurement;
- The position requires proficient technical knowledge and process support skills, including a good knowledge of MS Word and Excel. Must have good familiarity with e-mail and voicemail systems as well as excellent written and oral communication capabilities and analytical skills;
- Experience in reading blue prints & technical drawings & understanding of specifications;
- The ideal candidate will be able to work independently in a fast paced environment;
- Strong work ethic, with excellent organizational skills, multi-tasking, detail and team-orientation;
- Must be able to maintain a good relationship with the Clients' personnel, and be able to quickly grasp and properly appreciate problems and deal with them swiftly in the interest of the project;
- Ability to recommend supplier selections as well as being able to quickly action to improve deliveries & reduce cost;
- Ability to resolve procurement and supply problems;
- Must be a self-starter and be able to work with minimal management supervision;
- Previous experience in supervising support staff is required.
- Experience with an automated procurement system would be an asset.
- Experience with Oracle Purchasing and iProcurement modules would be considered an asset
AECL has an Employment Equity Program and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.