The Dosimetry QA Specialist reports to the RP Program Authority, and is responsible for management of AECL’s Dosimetry Services Program and maintenance and implementation of the Dosimetry Services QA Program.
The successful applicant will have strong interpersonal and communications skills and experience managing a quality assurance program in a scientific laboratory environment.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Assuming the role of Dosimetry Program Manager, in accordance with Dosimetry Services Licence requirements (on successful completion of training).
- Having a detailed knowledge of the Dosimetry Services Licence, CNSC’s Regulatory Standard S-106 Technical and Quality Assurance Requirements for Dosimetry Services (S-106), and AECL’s RP Program requirements.
- Being knowledgeable about the Nuclear Safety and Control Act, and RP Regulations and AECL’s Site Licences and associated Licence Condition Handbooks.
- Being knowledgeable of AECL procedures, practices and processes.
- Developing, maintaining and implementing AECL’s Dosimetry Quality Assurance Program in compliance with S-106.
- Monitoring and reporting on deficiencies in Dosimetry Services compliance with the Dosimetry Service Licence and S-106.
- Reviewing new procedures for compliance to S-106.
- Providing oversight to ensure control of Dosimetry Services’ documentation.
- Preparing the application to the CNSC for the Dosimetry Services Licence renewal (5-year licence period) and applying for amendments to the licence as required.
- Preparing responses to CNSC enquiries.
- Facilitating meetings between CRL and WL Dosimetry Services and the CNSC, and preparing meeting minutes.
- Maintaining, reviewing and revising the Dosimetry Program QA Manual and QA Procedures in accordance with S-106.
- Preparing the Dosimetry Service Annual Compliance Report and the Annual Program Review Report.
- Preparing and distributing a Dosimetry Services’ Self-Assessment plan, and performing self-assessments of Dosimetry Services.
- Interfacing with internal auditors to ensure that audits of the Dosimetry Services Program meet the requirements of S-106.
- Coordinating internal and external audits and preparing the response to findings.
- Ensuring that corrective action is taken to address deficiencies and prevent recurrence.
- Verifying the effectiveness of corrective actions, as required.
- Participating in investigations of events involving non-compliance with the Dosimetry Service Licence or S-106.
- Providing advice and guidance on the requirements of the Dosimetry Service Licence and the CNSC Regulatory Standard S-106.
- Approving non-AECL dosimetry service providers to perform dosimetry for AECL.
- Coordinating training of Dosimetry Service staff at CRL and WL on QA requirements.
- Reviewing and approving procurement requisitions for conformance to quality assurance requirements.
The incumbent should have an Honours Bachelor Degree in Engineering or Science from a university of recognized standing, or membership in an engineering or scientific professional organization authorized by statute to establish qualification for membership in that organization, with several years of relevant working experience.
Knowledge and experience in working under a quality assurance program is required; prior experience in managing a quality assurance program is desirable. Knowledge and experience in at least one of health physics, radiation protection, or dosimetry would be an asset.
In addition, the following qualities are required:
- Strong interpersonal skills for working in a team environment and interfacing with staff, management and the regulator;
- In-depth understanding of the principles of QA and QC;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Demonstrated problem solving skills;
- Computer skills using products such as Word, Excel and Outlook.
AECL has an Employment Equity Program and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.