· Under supervision, and as required, assist to clean and decontaminate areas, buildings, equipment and material of radioactive contamination through application of either routine or specialized cleaning procedures.
· Decontamination personnel are responsible for assisting fellow Radiation Protection staff and facility management with the implementation of contamination control techniques. They are also responsible for providing a decontamination service when hazardous contamination levels are suspected or known to exist to support on-going operational and decommissioning activities at Whiteshell Laboratories.
· Grade 12 (Manitoba) education or equivalent is required.
· CNL Group 3 and/or Group 2 Radiation Protection Training is desirable.
· Janitorial or decontamination work experience is preferred. Experience working in a radioactive environment would be very desirable, where the candidate is acquainted with established practices and procedures for radiological and industrial safety.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Must be responsible, reliable and possess initiative.
· Must have the ability to work with a team, and with minimal supervision.
· Must possess the ability necessary to interpret and to follow both written and verbal instructions.
· Must interact continuously with various facility staff, as well as others. Where advice is requested, he/she may be asked to supervise its implementation in an effective manner.
· Must possess good mobility, and have the physical agility necessary to perform all aspects of the work, which involves climbing, bending and lifting.
· Must be capable and willing to work in all types of areas associated with this classification. (e.g. working at heights, confined spaces, etc.)
· It would be an asset if the candidate were knowledgeable in:
· Use of protective equipment relating to personal protection requirements.
· Decontamination methods, materials and equipment.
· Operating fixed or portable instruments used in the detection and measurement of radiation, contamination, air sampling and assorted counting equipment.
· Buildings, radiological areas and zoning on site.
CNL has an Employment Equity Program and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.