Cath Lab Registered Nurse
Job Title:Cath Lab Registered Nurse
Department:7020 - Cardiac Cath
Job Category:Cath Lab
FTE:1.00 - 40 hours
Schedule:40 hrs/wk; Days w/ Call
FLSA Status:Non-Exempt (Hourly)
A Cath Lab Nurse assists in the daily operations of the cardiac catheterization laboratory. By applying the nursing process to the specialized field of cardiac catheterization, deliver quality health care to patients undergoing invasive cardiology and electrophysiology procedures.
- Assesses patient and family needs in order to provide quality care to assigned patients.
- Performs admission assessment in accordance with specific unit standards.
- Identifies and documents nursing diagnosis on patient’s plan of care and patient/family/significant other teaching needs upon admission.
- Identifies discharge planning needs of patient/family/significant other at the time of admission.
- Assembles necessary instruments, supplies, and equipment prior to start of case and checks for availability and proper condition.
- Demonstrates the skills and judgment necessary to implement medical plan of care, nursing interventions and procedures as necessary for the care of the patient.
- Demonstrates knowledge of hospital policies and procedures for administering, transcribing, and recording medications, including medications for sedation.
- Demonstrates knowledge of commonly used medications: action, dose, and side effects.
- Observes safety in medication administration.
- Demonstrates proper procedures in all methods of medication administration.
- Administers blood and blood products following hospital policy and procedures.
- Initiates and maintains IV access according to hospital policy and procedures.
- Assesses and documents IV site per unit standard.
- Applies and monitors principles of aseptic technique throughout procedure.
- Identifies and applies basic radiation safety practices
- Acts as a scrub technician, circulating nurse, or physiologic monitor during the intraoperative phase.
- Ensures safe transfer/transport of patient to and from procedure room.
- Performs sponge, needle, and instrument counts according to policy and procedure.
- Ensures safety of patients during the use of electrical equipment.
- Prepares the surgical site using aseptic technique.
- Correctly collects and accurately labels specimens.
- Confines and contains sources of contamination.
SPECIALIZED KNOW-HOW & REQUIREMENTS:
- Current Illinois Registered Nurse Licensure required.
- BLS required within 30 days of hire and maintained through employment at CGH.
- 3 years of clinical experience required, 2 years’ experience in critical care preferred.
- ACLS Certification required.
- CCI RCIS certification, or willingness to acquire certification within two years of hire.
- Demonstrates clinical competence in critical care nursing, knowledge, and skills.
- Administration and management of IV medication.
- Management of Procedural/Moderate Sedation.
- ECG Identification.