Job Title:Mohs Technician
Department:8810 - Dermatology - Sterling
FTE:0.80 - 32 hours
Schedule:32 hrs/wk; Monday - Thursday, 8a-5p
FLSA Status:Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Mange Mohs Lab and process specimens according to Mohs requirements, preparing slides for MD to review. Provide basic nursing care to patients under the direct supervision of the office physician and works as a member of the medical office health care team, promoting wellness and quality patient care.
- Answers incoming calls, screens calls, and takes messages for physician and support staff; sends to appropriate person using the EMR system if applicable.
- Schedules patient appointments and referrals, as directed by physician, and performs filing, as needed, for office.
- Assists in preparing patients to see the physician.
- Assists physician in suture removals and minor procedures as directed by the physician and documents in chart or EMR if applicable.
- Takes patient medical histories and vital signs, as needed, and enters in chart or EMR if applicable.
- Draws blood and/or obtains Strep-A throat cultures and urine specimens for testing, as directed.
- Assists with and /or places leads for EKGs, as directed.
- Assists with monitoring CPT and ICD-10 coding to ensure proper documentation and billing for office.
- Assists with filling in for vacations/illnesses for office receptionist and primary nurse
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
SPECIALIZED KNOW-HOW & REQUIREMENTS:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Current MA Certification from one of the following is required:
- CMA “Certified Medical Assistant” (American Association of Medical Assistants) (AAMA)
- RMA “Registered Medical Assistant” ( American Medical Technologists)
- NCMA “National Certified Medical Assistant” (NCCT)
- Experience in an acute care setting preferred.
- Basic computer knowledge required.
- Demonstrates knowledge necessary to provide care appropriate to any age-related needs of the patients served in the physician office. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development appropriate to the patient population served.
In the Mohs laboratory, listed but not limited to:
- Opens laboratory for daily operation, checks temperatures, all equipment, machines and document in proper logs.
- Assist the physician in Mohs surgery
- Process tissue according to procedure requested
- Handle routine and special stains of the surgical tissue
- Assist with repairs
- Perform daily cleaning of the laboratory
- Perform weekly maintenance of cryostat microtome
- Handle daily paperwork for Mohs surgery
- File surgical slides weekly
- Run pathological reports
- Order laboratory supplies weekly.