Job Title:Echo Tech
Department:7030 - Cardio
Job Category:Cardio Lab
FTE:1.00 - 40 hours
Schedule:40 hrs/wk; 9a-5p & call w/ every 3rd Weekend
FLSA Status:Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Echo technicians use high frequency sound waves to create images of the human heart. They may specialize in adult echocardiography, pediatric echocardiography, or fetal echocardiography or a variety of these.
- Performs echocardiography procedures using accepted principles and practices.
- Accurately assesses examination quality, appropriateness, and results.
- Educates patients/family by explaining procedures and appropriately answering patient/family questions.
- Evaluate the images of study for their quality and to assure that diagnostic images were captured.
- Completes record entries into computerized system assuring studies are complete and safely secured in acquisition and storage.
- Recognizes and responds to emergency situations appropriately.
- Practices competencies in echo cardiology based upon current scientific knowledge.
- Maintain ultrasound equipment and appropriately cleans patient area and machine/equipment in between patients.
- Present study for reading and reports emergent preliminary findings to physicians.
- Maintain patient records and add medical notes related to the ultrasound procedure.
SPECIALIZED KNOW-HOW & REQUIREMENTS:
- Education that includes completion from an accredited school in echocardiography.
- Successful completion of registry through ARMDS (American Registered Medical Diagnostic Sonographers) or CCI (Cardiology Credentialing International) within 3 months of employment.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development appropriate to the patient population served.
- Able to assess and interpret data about the patient’s status in order to identify each patient’s needs and provide the appropriate care, including age-related care, needed by the neonate, pediatric, adolescent and/or geriatric patient group.