Surgical Scrub Tech/Sterile Processing Tech
Job Title:Surgical Scrub Tech/Sterile Processing Tech
Department:6252 - Central Sterile
Job Category:Central Sterile
FTE:1.00 - 40 hours
Schedule:40 hrs/wk; Days, Hours Vary
FLSA Status:Non-Exempt (Hourly)
This position is cross-trained as a surgical/scrub tech and a sterile processing tech. This position rotates work hours between both the operating room and the sterile processing department. Both positions require proficiency in theory and application of principles of asepsis and sterile technique.
- Secure and prepare all supplies required for surgical intervention
- Ensure the preparation and maintenance of the sterile field in OR
- Perform instrument counts prior to each procedure
- Prepare patient skin for surgical treatment
- Assist in position and reposition of patient during surgery
- Help monitor patients during surgery
- Provide supportive care during the pre-operative phase
- Perform scrub functions
Sterile Processing Tech:
- Ensures that surgical instruments are clean and sterile.
- Proficiently performs manual cleaning prior to sterilization of instruments
- Correctly places cleaned instruments in sterilizers.
- Performs appropriate recording of quality data from sterilizers
- Orders supplies, assembles instrument trays, distributes supplies
- Monitors sterile trays and supplies to assure that they are within their expiration date and replaces as necessary
SPECIALIZED KNOW-HOW & REQUIREMENTS:
- Must have completed a surgical tech training program and have successfully obtained AST certification. Must also attain Sterile Processing Certification within 36 months of hire into this position.
- Must be an active C.N.A. on the IL registry and willing to attend a certified surgical tech program while working part time in Sterile Processing. Employee must successfully complete this program and obtain AST certification within 36 months. This position must also attain Sterile Processing Certification within 36 months of hire into this position.
- Must have completed education for a Licensed Practical Nursing program and have an IL license. Must complete AST within 36 months. Must attain Sterile Processing Certification within 36 months of hire into this position.
- Must be a current CGH employee with 15 + years of experience as an on the job trained scrub tech and able to complete AST certification within 2 years. Must be able to complete Sterile Processing Certification within 36 months.