Medical Assistant, Medical Office
Job Title:Medical Assistant, Medical Office
Department:8804 - Internal Medicine - Sterling
Job Category:Internal Medicine
FTE:1.00 - 40 hours
Schedule:40 hrs/wk; Monday - Friday, 8a-5p; Hours in GI too
FLSA Status:Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Performs basic patient care functions to assist the physician and nursing staff in a medical office with the examination or treatment of patients. Assists in the operation of office as it relates to scheduling, referrals, and filing, as needed by practices.
- Answers incoming calls, screens calls, and takes messages for physician and support staff; sends to appropriate person using the EMR system if applicable.
- Schedules patient appointments and referrals, as directed by physician, and performs filing, as needed, for office.
- Assists in preparing patients to see the physician.
- Assists physician in suture removals and minor procedures as directed by the physician and documents in chart for EMR.
- Takes patient medical histories and vital signs and enters in chart for EMR.
- Draws blood and/or obtains Strep-A throat cultures and urine specimens for testing, as directed.
- Assists with and/or places leads for EKG’s
- Assists with monitoring CPT and ICD-10 coding to ensure proper documentation and billing for the office.
- Assists with filling in for vacations/illnesses for office receptionist and primary nurse.
- May chart on behalf of the provider when in the exam room. Chart note to include name, title, date and time of the entry. Chart must then be signed off on by the provider.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
SPECIALIZED KNOW-HOW & REQUIREMENTS:
- Current MA Certification from one of the following is required
- CMA “Certified Medical Assistant” (American Association of Medical Assistants) (AAMA)
- RMA “Registered Medical Assistant” ( American Medical Technologists)
- NCMA “National Certified Medical Assistant” (NCCT)
- Prior experience as a medical assistant preferred.
- Basic computer knowledge required.
- Prior experience in phlebotomy and placing EKG leads preferred.
- Knowledge of CPT and ICD-10 coding required.
- Demonstrates knowledge necessary to provide care appropriate to any age-related needs of the patients served in the physician office. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development appropriate to the patient population served. Able to assess and interpret data about the patient’s status in order to identify each patient’s needs and provide the appropriate care, including age-related care, needed by the pediatric, adolescent and/or geriatric patient group.