Critical Care Staff Educator/QI Coordinator
Job Title:Critical Care Staff Educator/QI Coordinator
Department:6120 - Critical Care Unit
Job Category:Critical Care Unit
FTE:1.00 - 40 hours
Schedule:40 hrs/wk; Monday - Friday, Days
FLSA Status:Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Coordinates the Critical Care Unit staff education including basic competencies and provides and maintains ongoing educational staff needs. Also coordinates the quality improvement program in the unit by assisting in the improvement of processes, operations, and the performance of CCU staff.
- Oversees the preceptor program and the quality improvement program within the department
- Obtain and maintain all certifications needed to work in department.
- Maintains records of all education, in-services, and all orientation conducted in the department.
- Develops annual educational goals and objectives related to professional nursing practice.
- Implements orientation, in-service training and continuing education programs for all persons in the department(s); including skills labs and special in-services in coordination with CCU ANM and departmental Director.
- Work with department manager and to assure that comprehensive, well-organized interdisciplinary educational opportunities are coordinated and are in response to staff need, research, and/or QI findings.
- Reviews and makes recommendations regarding the qualifications and competence of department personnel who provide patient services and meets regularly with CCU ANM/director to keep them informed.
- Provide direct patient care as needed to maintain skills at bedside and to project a good image to staff.
- Assists in developing, implementing and conducting ongoing Performance Improvement (PI) and Quality Control (QC) programs for the department(s) working closely with the Quality Department and CCU ANM and Departmental Director.
- Coordinates closely with the Nurse Navigator to assure staff educational needs are met.
- Enforces policies and procedures to ensure departmental effectiveness; recommends revisions as needed.
- Participates in the budgeting by recommending products, services through research, monitoring, and implementation.
- Reviews, develops, and updates resource materials as needed.
- Serves on committees when requested by Departmental Director.
- Coordinate with other departmental educators in areas where there is overlapping educational needs.
- Coordinates with the CGH Professional Development Department as necessary.
SPECIALIZED KNOW-HOW & REQUIREMENTS:
- Graduate of an accredited nursing education program with a current IL license, and a bachelor’s degree in Nursing and/or Master’s Degree in Nursing/Education (preferred). This position is required to complete Master of Nursing and or Education within 5 years in this role.
- Minimum of three years’ experience working in an acute care setting; this includes a minimum of two (2) related to the department(s) (e.g., surgery, critical care, etc.)
- Must complete CCRN (Certified Critical Care Registered Nurse) within 2 years of assuming position.
- Conduct periodic mock ACLS drills to increase competency and familiarity with a variety of scenarios. Desired, but not mandatory on hire that this position be an ACLS instructor. Within 2 years, must be ACLS instructor.
- In-depth working knowledge of current concepts, principles and procedures used in patient care within an acute care setting.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills required with a strong desire to teach.
- Able to work independently and take initiative to self-start as evidenced by need for minimal supervision and follow-up
- Demonstrates the knowledge necessary to provide care appropriate to any age-related needs of the patients served on assigned unit. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development appropriate to the patient population served. Able to assess and interpret data about the patient’s status to identify each patient’s needs and provide the appropriate care of age-related care for the patient groups we provide care