Patient Registration Representative
Job Title:Patient Registration Representative
Department:8241 - Patient Access
Job Category:Patient Access
FTE:0.10 - PRN (as needed)
FLSA Status:Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Patient Registration Representatives provide customer-service coverage in the centralized Admitting office of CGH Hospital and assume the responsibility for successful financial outcomes of all patient services. Under the general supervision of the Patient Access Manager, this position performs duties including but not limited to, pre-registration, time of service registration, insurance verification, telephone coverage, data entry, filing protected health information (PHI), patient referrals, and point-of-service collections, while maintaining patient relations, customer satisfaction, and CGH’s financial solvency.
- Practices proficient customer-service skills by greeting and treating all patients and staff with respect and discretion. Exhibits professionalism in appearance, speech, and conduct, and ensures that services are provided in accordance with organizational standards.
- Gathers and verifies all appropriate confidential health and financial information from patients while using various computer software to assure payment for all authorized services. Gathers critical demographic elements from patients (e.g., name, date of birth, Social Security Number) to ensure patient is being registered under the correct medical record number. Confirms whether patients are insured and, if so, gathers details (e.g., insurer name, plan subscriber) as well as verifies patients insurance eligibility and benefits.
- Complies with all organizational, state, and federal laws and registrations related to patient privacy and confidentiality, such as the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA).
- Connects patients with financial counseling or Medicaid screening specialist as appropriate to promote financial clearance.
- Provide wayfinding services to help direct patients, family and visitors to their destination. This includes providing directions, arranging an escort or making phone calls to assist a patient.
- Other duties as assigned by the Patient Access Manager.
SPECIALIZED KNOW-HOW & REQUIREMENTS:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required. Associates degree preferred. Previous healthcare experience preferred.
- CHAA certification preferred. Employees will have the opportunity to obtain their CHAA certification after 2 years of hire date.
- Exceptional organizational, planning, coordinating and collaborating skills. Efficient time management skills and ability to multi-task and solve problems.
- Computer experience with fast, accurate typing skills.
- Basic math with ability to process payments and make change.
- Medical insurance and medical terminology knowledge preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills needed. Ability to remain calm and professional, even in emergency situations. Functions well under situations that may be stressful due to health concerns of our patients.