Job Title:GI Tech
Department:7192 - Digestive Health Center
Job Category:Digestive Health Center
FTE:1.00 - 40 hours
Schedule:40 hrs/wk; Days, Call Once/Wk & Every 4th Weekend
FLSA Status:Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Primarily responsible for performing general clerical duties assigned by the Department Manager of Charge Nurse for the individual nursing units as well as basic nursing care to patients under the direct supervision of either the Department Manager or Charge Nurse.
- Organize and complete multiple simultaneous tasks/testing for autonomously with limited supervision.
- Assists the Physician and RN in preparation and performance of DHC procedures.
- Responsible for proper reprocessing of endoscopes including but not limited to: transportation, cleaning, decontamination, high level disinfection, testing and proper use.
- Ensures manufacturer and regulatory compliance when handling hazardous chemical substances used during reprocessing of scopes.
- Demonstrate ability to troubleshoot all DHC equipment to ensure patient safety.
- Demonstrates proper donning, doffing and sterile technique as required reduce risk of transmission of disease.
- Documents and Preserves tissues and other specimens safely and accurately.
- Maintains patient records and documents to ensure an accurate record of the patient’s medical and nursing care, to multiple computer systems, as necessary, support continuity of care.
- Communicates pertinent information regarding patient’s progress and needs to appropriate hospital staff.
- Demonstrates competencies in nursing assistant skills based on current scientific knowledge.
- Utilizing a multi-disciplinary approach, effectively uses verbal, non-verbal and written communication skills to maintain cooperative and professional relationships.
- Under the supervision of an RN assists DHC Admission/Recovery nursing and clerical staff during patient intake, home-readiness, and customer excellence
- Demonstrates accountability for controlling and ordering unit supplies.
- Required to participate in ‘on-call’ rotation for the unit specific 24 hour/7 day coverage.
SPECIALIZED KNOW-HOW & REQUIREMENTS:
- High School graduate or equivalent and current Nursing Aide certification (CNA) required.
- Successful completion of the Health Unit Coordinator Class required within one year of employment in DHC
- Certification in GI scope processing required within two years of employment in DHC
- Strong operational knowledge in Microsoft Windows/Office products and the ability to learn the CGH order entry system.
- Experience in an acute care setting preferred.
- Demonstrates the knowledge necessary to provide care appropriate to any age-related needs of the patients served on assigned unit. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development appropriate to the patient population served. Able to assess and interpret data about the patient’s status in order to identify each patient’s needs and provide the appropriate care, including age-related care, needed by the neonate, pediatric, adolescent and/or geriatric patient group (depending on unit).