Laboratory Section Supervisor
Job Title:Laboratory Section Supervisor
Department:7010 - Laboratory Department
FTE:1.00 - 40 hours
Schedule:40 hrs/wk; Mon-Fri. Days
FLSA Status:Exempt (Salaried)
Supervises and performs all aspects of the activities of a technical or non-technical section at hospital, clinic, and remote locations including staff performance, procedures, instrumentation, quality control, performance improvement, and supply inventory.
- Works under the direction of the Administrative Director to oversee, manage, develop, and assist Charge Technologists and other staff within the department. Assumes temporary responsibility for the department in absence of the Administrative Director as assigned.
- Trains, counsels, disciplines, and evaluates the performance of staff and students reporting to him/her or working in his/her section and documents appropriately. Maintains records, competencies, and certifications of each staff member within section.
- Supervises and/or conducts all procedure and instrument evaluations, selections, implementations, and correlations for the section. Makes the final recommendation of instrumentation purchases to the Administrative Director and methodology changes to the Medical Director.
- Works with Charge Technologist on processes that are clinical or administrative, including but not limited to evaluation/review of test methodologies, procedure manuals, and test performance schedules at least annually; documents and modifies as needed.
- Rounds with staff monthly and documents: encourages and utilizes input to achieve collaborative work environment and improve section departmental performance.
- Incorporates Service Excellence and Quality Programs by holding all technologists accountable for ensuring proper patient identification, exam integrity, and efficient documentation. Maintains timely and accurate quality and productivity monitors.
- Achieves understanding competency for all technical procedures for sections directly responsible and sections indirectly responsible for. Will cross train with other section supervisor to have the ability to assume temporary responsibility.
- Responsible for competency testing and documentation for all staff performing procedures in the section, as well as staff scheduling for the section.
- Collaborates with the Administrative Director in coordination of department objectives, from a budgetary and financial prospective.
- Responsible for departmental regulatory requirements, such as CAP and AABB, as well as section inspections for these accrediting agencies.
SPECIALIZED KNOW-HOW & REQUIREMENTS:
- B.S./B.A. degree in Medical Technology or clinical specialty
- Technologist (MT) or specialist certification with ASCP.
- Four years of technical experience specific to the specialty preferred.
- Excellent organizational, inter-personal, oral and written communication skills required.
- Demonstrates the knowledge necessary to provide care appropriate to any age-related needs of the patients served on assigned unit. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development appropriate to the patient population served. Able to assess and interpret data about the patient’s status in order to identify each patient’s needs and provide the appropriate care, including age-related care, needed by the neonate, pediatric, adolescent and/or geriatric patient group.