Department:6011 - Float Department
Job Category:Float - Hospital
FTE:0.30 - 12 hours
Schedule:12 hrs/wk; 7a-7p w/ Every 3rd Weekend
FLSA Status:Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Primarily responsible for performing general clerical duties assigned by the Department Manager of Charge Nurse for the individual nursing units as well as basic nursing care to patients under the direct supervision of either the Department Manager or Charge Nurse.
- Communicates with members of the health care team, patients, and visitors using oral and written means and equipment such as the telephone and intercom.
- Assembles and processes patients' charts as indicated.
- Keeps patients records accurately identified.
- Checks charts and removes non-permanent reports when permanents reports are obtained.
- Maintains a clean, neat, safe, orderly, and business-like environment at the nursing station in order to assist members of the health care team in the performance of their jobs despite high-stress factors.
- Demonstrates proficient and effective clerical support for the patient care unit.
- Utilizing a multi-disciplinary approach, effectively uses vernal, non-verbal, and written communication skills to maintain cooperative and professional relationships.
- Demonstrates accountability for controlling and ordering unit supplies.
- Ensures patient hygiene by giving bedpans, urinals, baths, backrubs, shampoos, and shaves. Also assists with showers.
- Performs and supports activities of daily living (ADL'S) under direction of supervising RN/LPN.
- Provides for comfort needs of patients.
- Promptly answers patients' call lights and requests.
- Maintains good working relations among all nursing unit personnel and other hospital employees through appropriate communication.
- Maintains a safe and attractive environment for patients and co-workers; transports patients and equipment as appropriate.
- Instill confidence in the patient by maintain a neat and attractive appearance and performing duties in a competent caring manner.
- With specialized training, and written approval, may perform additional and specialized tasks pertinent to assigned area.
- Accepts reassignment as needed to provide necessary care for all patients.
- Understands and demonstrates proper sterile/aseptic technique when assisting in applicable departments.
- Supports an environment conducive to professional practice by functioning as a role model and resource person.
SPECIALIZED KNOW-HOW & REQUIREMENTS:
- Current CNA certification required. Must be active as a CNA on the IL Health Care Worker Registry.
- Strong operational knowledge in Microsoft Windows/Office products and the ability to learn the CGH order entry system.
- Must attend and complete HUC continuing education.
- Must meet the prescribed standards as determined by the department director.
- BLS Required within 30 days of hire and maintained throughout employment at CGH.
- Experience in an acute care setting preferred.
- Demonstrates the knowledge necessary to provide care appropriate to any age-related needs of the patients served on assigned unit. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development appropriate to the patient population served. Able to assess and interpret data about the patient’s status in order to identify each patient’s needs and provide the appropriate care, including age-related care, needed by the neonate, pediatric, adolescent and/or geriatric patient group (depending on unit).