Sterile Processing Technician
Job Title:Sterile Processing Technician
Department:6252 - Central Sterile
Job Category:Central Sterile
FTE:1.00 - 40 hours
Schedule:40 hrs/wk; Days
FLSA Status:Non-Exempt (Hourly)
A sterile processing tech is responsible for cleaning and sterilization of used surgical instruments and other medical supplies so they can be safely redistributed for future patients.
- Decontaminates Instruments used in the operating room and in other procedures throughout the hospital and clinics.
- Assures that biological and chemical wash solutions are appropriately used.
- Assures sterilization equipment is working appropriately by performing quality control checks routinely as instructed and that documentation is maintained.
- Understands and utilizes the IFU of all equipment to assure how to clean and sterilize all equipment.
- Restock supplies and maintains adequate inventory within the Sterile Processing department.
- Keeps instruments organized, sorting mismatched sets of instruments to maintain availability.
- Performs daily, weekly, and monthly control tests.
SPECIALIZED KNOW-HOW & REQUIREMENTS:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Within 24 months of hire, the employee must obtain Sterile Processing Certification. This can be achieved through
- International Association of Health Care Central Service Materials Management (IAHCCSMM) or
- Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution (CBSPD)
- Must complete CPR within 30 days of hire and maintain throughout employment at CGH.
- The employee is responsible to maintain the certification once attained.