EMT - Basic
Job Title:EMT - Basic
Department:6232 - Pre Hospital Department
Job Category:Pre Hospital
FTE:0.01 - PRN/On-Call
Schedule:As needed; Shifts, transfers, standby's, on-call
FLSA Status:Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Provide pre-hospital care in both the emergency and non-emergency setting to include but not
limited to: emergency calls, local and long distance transfers. Works closely with customers to coordinate, schedule and efficiently deliver skilled patient care and transport.
- Operates ambulance according to the laws and regulations of the State of Illinois and CGH Medical Center Policies.
- Assists with vehicle and equipment maintenance.
- Keeps work area and ambulance clean, organized and in a state of readiness according to departmental policies and procedures.
- Functions as an active member of the pre-hospital team working closely with internal and external customers.
- Safely packages and transports patients in an expedient manner, attending to the physical and emotional needs of customer.
- Complete run report and billing forms with accurate and complete information.
- Participate actively and constructively in departmental quality improvement processes
- Provides information about Special Service Area 1 and directions using in-depth knowledge of maps and locations.
- Operate telephone and radio using proper etiquette, clear and accurate annunciation.
- Accurately records all radio and telephone messages.
- Documents Patient records into a computerized data collection system accurately and efficiently.
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary.
SPECIALIZED KNOW-HOW & REQUIREMENTS:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Certification as and EMT-Basic in the State of Illinois required.
- Certification as an Emergency Vehicle Operator required.
- Valid Illinois Class (D) Vehicle Operator’s License with a minimum of four years licensed driving experience required.
- Demonstrates the knowledge necessary to provide care appropriate to any age-related needs of the patients served on assigned unit. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development appropriate to the patient population served. Able to assess and interpret data about the patient’s status in order to identify each patient’s needs and provide the appropriate care, including age-related care, needed by the neonate, pediatric, adolescent and/or geriatric patient group.