Job Title:Senior Accountant
Department:8212 - Accounting
FTE:1.00 - 40 hours
Schedule:40 hrs/wk; M-F 8am-430pm; Flexible
FLSA Status:Exempt (Salaried)
This position is responsible for applying accounting principles and procedures to analyze financial information, prepare accurate and timely financial statements and ensure appropriate accounting control procedures.
- Compile and analyze financial information to prepare monthly and annual financial statements. Ensures financial records are maintained in compliance with accepted policies and procedures. Assists with monthly closing activities and provides back-up support for other accounting functions as needed.
- Prepares and/or coordinates the preparation of reconciliations for Balance Sheet accounts, investigates and resolves any discrepancies. Scrutinizes unusual general ledger activity and informs management of any potential risks that may impair the assets of the Hospital.
- Analyze financial information to recommend or develop efficient use of resources and procedures, provide strategic recommendations and maintain solutions to business and financial problems.
- Provide assistance in matters with internal and external auditors and actuaries. Works to minimize the time involved in the audit and to minimize interruptions of daily operations.
- Train and mentor accountants and other accounting staff.
- Demonstrates the effective collection and use of financial information for strategic and critical approaches to decision making. Analyzes information to prepare and recommend alternatives to management.
- Manages the Fixed Assets process, policy, and procedure.
- Assists with the preparation operating and capital budgets, excise tax and income tax returns for related organizations.
- Assists in the documentation and monitoring of internal controls.
- Provides ongoing education to managers to improve their understanding of department specific financial information.
- Stays informed of all government regulations affecting Hospital financial and accounting procedures.
SPECIALIZED KNOW-HOW & REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required, and Certified Public Accountant preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of public accounting experience or five (5) years of financial accounting experience required.
- Thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Strong analytical skills, problem solving skills, time management skills, and proficiency with Excel spreadsheets.
- Computer literacy including operation and software application use required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, communication skills and demonstrated ability to work independently required.
- Preferred skills include being detail oriented and organized, having the ability to meet a constant stream of deadlines, and a proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively with all levels of employees.