Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Positions available: 10+ positions – the intent of the process is to create an inventory of qualified candidates for current and future needs.
Position type: Permanent positions, with a one (1) year probation period.
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Salary Range: (Salary range upon hire will be determined based on the level of competency demonstrated during the selection process):
UNI-07 level: $70,105.00 - $82,475.00 per year
UNI-08 level: $74,823.00 - $88,029.00 per year
UNI-09 level: $80,264.00 - $94,426.00 per year
These positions are currently eligible for a market allowance ranging from $7,557 to $10,933 annually (see notes).
The Communications Security Establishment Canada (CSEC) relies on the expertise and knowledge of approximately 2000 employees to help the Government protect information of national interest through leading-edge information technology and to provide cyber security advice and services. It is also mandated to collect foreign signals intelligence as per the Government of Canada's intelligence priorities. Federal security and law enforcement agencies, in the performance of their own lawful duties, also benefit from its capabilities.
CSEC is located in the Confederation Heights area of Ottawa, close to the Rideau Canal and Carleton University, and easily accessible by public transport (OC Transpo bus or O-train). In 2014, the organisation will be moving to a new, state-of-the-art, high security facility, in the Gloucester area of Ottawa. It will be the largest repository of Top Secret information in Canada.
Working here means:
• An opportunity to collaborate with experts in computer science, engineering, and mathematics in addressing Canada’s most pressing security challenges
• Providing innovative solutions to complex communication-related problems
• Working in a highly dynamic technical environment
• Access to exceptional career development opportunities
• Flexible work hours and a casual work environment
• Competitive salary and benefits
CSEC is currently looking for Cyber Developers / Software Engineers to fill several indeterminate positions at the junior, intermediate and senior levels. The incumbents work in a fully matrixed operational environment to deliver software solutions for clients. As CSEC is the only Canadian authority in the field of Cyber Defence, the challenges you will faced are unique and will be commensurate with your ability to demonstrate ingenuity and flexibility in various fields of expertise, such as:
• Operating system level development
• Networking protocols
• Computer and network security
• Vulnerability analysis
A successful candidate must display a high degree of tenacity, ingenuity, independence, and flexibility to work in various fields of expertise, and must also be willing to work with a variety of programming languages ranging from assembly and C, to scripting languages such as Perl and Python.
You must also have strong software engineering skills, including an appreciation for all aspects of the software development process.
Individuals with a strong desire and aptitude for working with computer network infrastructure or software quality assurance are encouraged to apply.
• Gather and analyze client requirements.
• Conceiving, proposing, designing and building software projects in support of the R&D work being done in order to develop cyber tools and techniques.
• Analysing software and communications protocols of computer and telecommunications products to determine the product architecture and security vulnerabilities.
• Researching computer security vulnerabilities.
• Develop test plans and test software applications for research and development in CSEC technologies and for operational deployment throughout the entire systems life cycle.
• Document software applications and produce project and activity status reports.
• Maintain software applications after migration to production, including troubleshooting and recommending/implementing improvements.
• Collaborate with 2nd Parties and other CSEC elements to ensure a compatible environment that promotes exchange of software applications and components.
• Advise on the capabilities of software systems, including providing technical support and advice to other CSEC areas, Government of Canada departments and agencies or allied agencies.
• Lead teams & manage projects, as required.
University degree* in Computer Science or in Computer/Electrical Engineering with software focus.
*3rd and 4th year university students who are currently completing their degree are eligible to apply but will not start employment until they have completed their degree.
Candidates will be required to demonstrate through a screening test strong knowledge and understanding of the following disciplines:
• IT Security Tools
• Network Security
• Virus Incident Handling
• Intrusion Detection/Prevention Systems
• Software Vulnerability Analysis
• Network architecture and network software development
• TCP/IP and other common networking standards and protocols (HTTP, SSL, LDAP, etc.).
• System administration in mixed environment, secure networks
• Cross platform, cross architecture development and scripting
• Advanced Operating Systems internals knowledge
• Kernel level development
• Software Development Lifecycle, including: requirements gathering, client interaction, application design, application development, test strategies, implementation and user documentation, release and maintenance procedures.
• Assembly Language, C, C++, Perl, Python, Lua, SQL, TCP/IP, PHP
• Client/server technology, open systems, object-oriented technology.
• Software design and quality assurance techniques
• Developing, enhancing and maintaining n-tiered software components at database, service and user-interface tiers.
Competencies covered in the written test:
• Knowledge of IT
• Project Mangement
• Application Development
• IT Security
• Information Management
Competencies covered in the interview and references:
• Analytical thinking
• Communicating in Writing
• Oral Communication and Listening
Who Can Apply
Canadian citizens who can qualify for a Top Secret security clearance conforming to CSEC’s standards.
• Candidates must have no criminal record.
• This process involves a security interview, a polygraph test, a psychological assessment, and a background investigation covering a minimum of your last 10 years history, including credit and financial verifications.
• Ongoing substance abuse is a factor to be assessed as part of your screening process.
Occasional business travel, overtime and standby duty may be required.
How To Apply
If you meet these requirements, you may submit your candidacy online by clicking “APPLY” at the bottom of the page.
A written test will be used as a screening tool.
An interview and references will follow for candidates who are successful on the screening test.
The market allowance does not form part of an employee's salary. This allowance is negotiated through the collective bargaining process and could be terminated. CSEC's current collective agreement expires on February 9, 2012.
All tests and interviews will take place in Ottawa. Please note that CSEC will not provide financial assistance to candidates who wish to travel to Ottawa to participate in the selection process.
The entire selection process – tests, interviews, security investigation – may take more than one year.
In 2014, CSEC will be moving to a new, state-of-the-art, high security facility, on Ogilvie Road in the Gloucester area of Ottawa. It will be the largest repository of Top Secret information in Canada.
CSEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applications from women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minority groups. CSEC offers an assessment process which will accommodate the needs of persons with disabilities. If you may need such accommodation, please advise us.
CSEC implemented cohort hiring in April 2010. Cohort hiring means that new employees start employment on a pre-defined intake date occurring six times per year and, as a group, move through the corporate orientation program before being assigned to their team.
We thank all those who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.