Scientist, Structural Biology (Protein Chemistry)
Job Category:Structural Biology
Who We Are
Dart NeuroScience LLC (DNS) is a privately held company with offices in San Diego, CA.
DNS is a company discovering new technologies and developing new therapies to help maintain cognitive vitality throughout life. DNS's mission is to become the leading specialized pharmaceutical company for memory disorders by focusing on the discovery and development of innovative drugs with new mechanisms of action. These discoveries are firmly based in a careful examination of the genes involved in the reorganization of synaptic connections in the brain, a cellular/molecular process which underlies both implicit (motor skills) and explicit (facts and events) forms of memory.
Our unique company culture engages employees by promoting thought-provoking investigation and targeted research opportunities. Our collegial environment also recognizes the value of stimulating cross-functional communication and collaboration as catalysts in generating the creative spark that inspires novel approaches and produces ground-breaking results. We want to attract, retain, and reward the top talent in our field. If you are looking for a productive, meaningful career path in the area of neuroscience, we would like to hear from you!
DNS is seeking an experienced protein chemist for the structural biology department. The candidate will be responsible for the development and implementation of protein purification processes for macromolecular crystallography studies as well as for biochemical/biophysical assay development and screening. The candidate is also required to have an extensive technical background in state-of-the-art protein purification equipment such as AKTA and processes necessary to establish purification procedures that reproducibly lead to the generation of crystallization-grade protein in quantity and quality suitable for structural studies. Major responsibilities will include independent hands-on experimental protein chemistry work to support large scale protein purification and characterization. Experience in membrane protein chemistry and/or protein crystallography is a plus.
The candidate will be working in a creative, dynamic environment and will be required to be team-oriented with a desire to proactively seek out and implement new technologies to improve construct design, expression, purification and crystallization of proteins for 3D structural studies. The candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills and must be organized and timely with regard to data generation, meeting presentations and study reports.
• Ph.D. in life science with thesis.
• 2+ years of relevant experience in protein structural biology
• Expert knowledge and hands-on experience in successful expression, purification, bioanalytical and biochemical characterization of proteins originating from different protein families for crystallization and 3D-structure determination.
• Proven hands-on experience in different protein purification methods (e.g affinity, size-exclusion, ion-exchange, isoelectric focusing chromatography, etc.) and biochemical/biophysical characterization techniques (e.g., Western blot, light scattering, calorimetry, analytical ultracentrifugation, DLS, thermal melting, protein MassSpec, in vitro assay development, etc.).
• Proven in-depth knowledge and expertise in protein structural biology demonstrated preferably through principle authorship in peer-reviewed publication(s).
• Demonstrated independent thought/creativity in science. Excellent collaboration, communication (oral and written) and multitasking skills and able to present work formally to Scientific Research Committees.
DNS offers competitive salaries and a great benefits package including paid holidays, incentive bonuses, healthcare, vision, dental, long-term disability, life insurance, flexible spending, and a 401(k) retirement savings plan. Click here to learn more.
Dart NeuroScience is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Women/Disability/Veterans.