Reporting to the Team Lead-Middleware, the Middleware Engineer is responsible for building, innovating, and the operational delivery of enterprise Middleware technologies. This role provides 24x7 administration and support.
Working closely with the enterprise architects, technology vendors, and IT and business stakeholders, the Middleware team will drive performance, stability, and efficiency of the Middleware technology portfolio in order to meet Best Buy’s overall business strategy.
The successful candidate has a broad IT technical background and is a well-organized, systematic problem-solver with a proven ability to communicate ideas and develop business relationships. Large enterprise IT delivery experience is required to ensure Best Buy Canada continues to provide best in class IT services to our stores, associates and business partners.
This role presents a great opportunity to join the dynamic and growing infrastructure team of the largest electronics retailer in Canada.
Technology Engineering & Operational Support
- Effectively provide 24x7 administration and support of Middleware technologies
- Ensure appropriate capabilities within the Middleware support team are maintained
- Partner with global IT teams to ensure a consistent approach, technologies and processes are utilized throughout the enterprise.
- Be a ‘Subject Matter Expert’ to provide expert advice to business stakeholders, conduct technology feasibility and evaluation
- Architect Middleware solutions and support processes to meet business requirements related to scalability, availability, performance, manageability
- Work with the Middleware Team Lead who acts as the escalation point for major operational issues
- Review and improve operational support processes to ensure service expectations and project deliverables are met
Strategy & Planning
- Provide vision, and influence over strategic direction of Middleware portfolio
- Partner with enterprise architects and global IT stakeholders to develop and maintain multi-year roadmaps for the Middleware portfolio
- Monitor and plan capacity of the Middleware portfolio
- Work technology vendors, outsourced service providers and IT stakeholders on new technologies to optimize IT environment
- Ensure successful service introduction of new technologies
- Partner with stakeholders and decision support teams to build business cases for IT investments
- Stay current on emerging technology trends and innovation
- Develop and maintain relationships with key technology partners and vendors.
5+ years of direct, hands on experience:
- Large complex enterprise IT environment
- Linux/ Unix (ideally multiple flavors)
- Microsoft Windows Server
3+ years of experience with two of the following servers:
- WebLogic Application Server
- Jboss Application Server
- Apache/ Tomcat Server
Oracle Application Server
Great to have:
- WebSphere MQ, WebSphere Message Broker, PeopleSoft, and Informatica
Middleware technologies, concepts and designs
- Exceptional attitude and willingness to learn new technologies
- Strong technical aptitude and flexibility
- Previous project leadership experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and facilitation skills
- Ability to be on call and work flexible hours when occasionally needed
Bachelor’s Degree in Business or IT Management preferred.
Burnaby, BC based Best Buy Canada Ltd., is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fortune 100 company Best Buy Co., Inc. (NYSE:BBY) and is one of Canada’s largest and most successful retailers. With more than 22,000 employees across the country, Best Buy Canada Ltd. operates the Future Shop (www.futureshop.ca) and Best Buy Canada (www.bestbuy.ca) brands, providing unique and distinct in-store and online consumer offerings, tailored to meet a diverse range of needs. We pride ourselves as being one of the best employers in the country. We offer a competitive benefits package and our Head Office employees enjoy great amenities at our South Burnaby location such as an in-house gym and restaurant facilities, free parking, shuttle service, in-house dry cleaning services and more.
Click here or text “FOLLOW BBYCANADAJOBS” to 21212 for more on Best Buy Canada Corporate opportunities!
Due to the large number of resumes received, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted, or will receive a response. We thank all applicants for their interest in Best Buy Canada Ltd.
Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, or to Best Buy Canada Ltd. employees. Best Buy Canada Ltd. is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.