Halton Healthcare Services Posting: #2014-733135
Position: Assistant Controller
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Site: Oak Park office, must be available to travel to all Hospital Sites (Oakville, Milton and Georgetown)
Hours: Monday to Friday Days (must be flexible to attend early morning and evening meetings)
This is an exciting time to consider joining Halton Healthcare Services. We are currently the only healthcare organization in Ontario to be in the midst of three major Capital projects. The first of which is the Georgetown Hospital expansion of the Emergency and Diagnostic Imaging Departments – expected to open its doors mid October 2013. Our largest project is the New Oakville Hospital – a 1.6 million square foot state-of-the-art hospital opening early December 2015. Our third project is the expansion of the Milton District Hospital which will see the existing facility triple in size from its current 125,000 square feet to 320,000 square feet of new construction, plus renovations to existing space to allow for a connector joining the new expansion to the existing hospital.
Reporting to the Controller, the Assistant Controller is responsible for accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, and general accounting areas within the finance department. In collaboration with the Controller, this role will ensure the safeguard of assets of the organization through effective internal controls, audit, record keeping, and reporting, to develop, implement and maintain accounting controls and sound accounting practice.
Some responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Effective operational oversight and supervision of the accounting, payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable, accommodations, fixed assets inventory and cash management functions.
- On-going professional development to maintain current knowledge base as it relates to healthcare, information systems and financial management issues.
- Ensure accounting processes support the timely preparation of financial reports on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis, as required for HHS and the three Foundations. Developing and implementing, in conjunction with the Controller, best practices and the streamlining of processes to ensure maximization of staff resources, and information systems.
- Working with the Controller to coordinate with financial planning, capital and treasury areas to ensure appropriate and enhanced reporting, compliance with MIS guidelines, GAAP, and PSAB, enhancement of accounting information and processes.
- Maintain compliance with MIS guidelines including incorporating updates to MIS reporting requirements within the accounting processes in collaboration with the Financial Reporting & Operational Support Coordinator.
- Provide adequate orientation and on-going training and development for staff as required to carry out their assigned duties in an efficient and effective manner. Provide monitoring and hands-on support of staff. Carry out performance appraisals and provide recommendations regarding staffing mix and the hiring, promotion and termination of staff.
- Manage reconciliation of all general ledger accounts on a monthly basis; including all sub-ledger accounts (Meditech and SAP (SSW)).
- Maintain and update the Signing Authority database, including SAP workflow data and SAP G/L.
- Prepare all data required for Expense Reporting under BPS Guidelines to ensure that all reporting requirements are met
- Manage the HHS Purchase Card Program; maintain users and ensure compliance with program
- Participation in hospital and program committees as required
Halton Healthcare Services is seeking individuals who are competent in their chosen profession; patient/customer focused; effective communicators; caring and respectful; and are fiscally responsible.
- Undergraduate degree and a professional accounting designation (CPA; CA, CMA, or CGA)
- Knowledge of MIS Guidelines (preferred)
- Experience in accounting and financial services, exposure to audit and minimum 3 years financial management experience
- Minimum 3 years of supervisory experience
- Basic knowledge of taxation regulations as it applies to hospital purchases.
- Demonstrated experience with and understanding of the purchase to settlement process.
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft office products; advanced experience in spreadsheets and reporting.
- 3 years experience working in an integrated financial software environment.
- Working in a hospital environment or other large government sector not-for-profit organization (“NPO”) is preferred
- Working knowledge of SAP and Meditech is preferred
- Working knowledge of Accounting Standards Board (“AcSB”) and Public Sector Accounting Board (“PSAB”) standards for “government sector not-for profit organizations (“NPO's”) is preferred
- Must be innovative, tactful, detail-oriented and have initiative.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, interpersonal skills, written and verbal communications
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks is essential
Date Posted: July 9, 2014
Internal applications due by: July 16, 2014
Please submit your application via the HHS website directly to this posting and include a current copy of your resume.
Halton Healthcare is committed to providing accommodations [for people with disabilities]. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Halton Healthcare is a smoke free facility in and around all three sites. Smoking is not permitted on HHS hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. HHS is also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors to accommodate individuals’ health concerns arising from exposure to scented products, We ask for everyone's cooperation in our efforts to accommodate health concerns