Nursing at Halton Healthcare
Our 1,200 nurses are integral members of the interdisciplinary health team who help meet the health needs of our population in a timely and effective manner. As part of the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care's New Graduate Promise, new graduate nurses benefit from a lengthy "above staffing complement" orientation. This customized orientation familiarizes them with the hospital and their specific unit's protocols, and includes a formalized preceptorship with an experienced nurse.
Working in all clinical programs, our nurses provide care within their designated scope of practice to a wide variety of patient populations. Nurse participation is sought on numerous committees and unit-based councils. As nurses continue to enhance their skills and pursue their formal education, they have an opportunity to advance in their career at HHS. They may apply for job openings in other clinical areas, or progress to leadership positions such as Clinical Resource Nurse, Professional Practice Clinician, Patient Care Manager, Program Leader or other administrative positions.
HHS nurses contribute their knowledge, skills and insights by spearheading or participating in innovative research initiatives that lead to the ongoing advancement of care delivery at HHS In the past, nurses have studied techniques to manage acute coronary syndrome, reviewed the efficacy of our new Critical Care Outreach Team and conducted patient wound and skin care studies. HHS's forward-thinking approach is also reflected in the leading-edge equipment and technologies it makes available to nurses.
Benefits of Nursing at HHS:
- A team-oriented environment and a community atmosphere… that values your individual contributions and celebrates your caring approach.
- Competitive salary and benefits… that consider your experience
- An award-winning, Health-Canada-funded employee wellness program… that promotes and enables healthy work-life balance… we even have on site fitness centres and a massage therapist who visit RNs during their shifts!
- Up to 100% up-front financial support for pre-approved continuing education
- Supported career path opportunities through our Professional Practice Clinicians
- A commitment to continuously improve scheduling practices, such as self-scheduling… in order to balance both personal and professional needs
- A commitment to continually enhance RN support during all shifts … at our Oakville site - through Patient Assistant Liaisons and a strong contingent of dedicated volunteers who can take some pressure off of RNs while attending to patients, family members and other services such as transporting patients
- Solid orientation programs appropriate for recent graduates and experienced RNs… intended to reduce some of the stress related to a new job and helping you feel successful in your new role
- Staff fun and appreciation events… whether an event is for all staff, our children, or peers within a department, these events add to the spirit that makes it a great place to work
- A solid, well-trained leadership team, at all levels, constantly striving to make HHS a better place for employees, patients, customers alike