Position: Manager, Genome Sequence Informatics
Site: MaRS Centre, Toronto
Department: Informatics & Bio-computing
Reports To: Director, Informatics & Bio-computing
Salary: Commensurate with level of experience
Hours: 35 Hrs/week
Status: Full-time, Permanent
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR) is seeking a Manager of the OICR Cancer Genome Sequence Informatics group to lead a team of bioinformaticians and software developers dedicated to world-class analysis of data produced by the cancer genome sequencing program, which generates several hundred genomes and transcriptomes every year.
• Manage a team of 10 to 12 software developers and bioinformaticians;
• Provide tactical direction and strategic vision to the Cancer Genome Sequence Informatics team;
• Direct the construction, updating and optimization of informatics systems for classifying and visualizing mutations and their consequences;
• Direct the development of workflows for the Cancer Genome Sequence Informatics Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
• Manage the allocation of resources to sequence analysis projects, and develop performance criteria for analytic tasks, in consultation with the Sequencing Informatics Steering Committee and Associate Director, Informatics and Biocomputing Program;
• Develop standard analysis SOPs and quality control/assurance procedures;
• Work collaboratively with members of the OICR Genomics and Informatics and Biocomputing Programs to identify and implement best-of-class solutions to sequence analysis problems including:
o Whole genome alignment,
o de novo assembly,
o Germline and somatic variant detection,
o Quantification of tumour heterogeneity and purity,
o RNA quantification and splice site identification,
o Variant significance prediction, and
o Structural variant calling;
• Liaise with the Information Technology team to develop hardware specifications that support OICR’s research goals;
• Liaise with the Biocomputing Software Development Team to develop software specifications to support the responsibilities described above;
• Liaise with external collaborators and other stakeholders to ensure full and timely communication between them and the cancer genome sequencing program.
• PhD or equivalent degree in biology, bioinformatics, computer science, or statistics;
• Experience in a leadership position at a large-scale sequencing center;
• Substantial experience with next-generation genome data and analysis on a high performance compute cluster.
OICR is an innovative cancer research institute located in the MaRS Centre in the Discovery District in downtown Toronto. OICR is addressing significant challenges in cancer research with multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional teams. New discoveries to prevent, detect and treat cancer will be moved from the bench to practical applications in patients. The OICR team is growing quickly. We are innovative, dedicated professionals who bring expertise to each of our roles. We are looking for individuals interested in being part of a culture of excellence that will result in Ontario being recognized internationally as a leading jurisdiction for cancer research.
Launched in December 2005, OICR is an independent institute funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Research and Innovation.
For more information about OICR, please visit the website at www.oicr.on.ca.
POSTED DATE: June 12, 2013
CLOSING DATE: Posted until filled
OICR has a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research thanks all applicants. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Resume Format: If you elect to apply, you will need a text or HTML version of your resume so that you can cut and paste it into the application box provided. Before you submit the completed application, you will be asked to attach one or two files to your application. Please attach your resume as a .doc file.